Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing HDV video from Sony HVR-V1U (troubleshooting)

Hi there,

I'm trying to import HDV video from a V1U to FCP 7. I can do SD fine (DV NTSC Anamorphic), but HDV is a problem for some reason. When I change easy settings to HDV (sequence-HDV 1080i60, capture preset-HDV, device control preset-Sony HDV Firewire) and bring up the log and capture, I can see the video (VTR OK), but when I go to capture I get this...."No Data from Device. Capture was aborted due to lack of incoming data from device. Check your connections and that the deck is playing." I check my capture settings and I don't see the audio/video settings like I do when importing SD.

I'm using a Firewire 400 connection from the camera to the computer. iLink is selected OFF on the camera, but when I connect the firewire, it shows as on in the display screen (still says OFF in the menu).

What am I missing?

iMac 2.16 intel core 2 duo

Mac OS X 10.6.5

FCP 7

Firewire 1394 (400)

Sony HVR-V1U HDVcam

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 4:24 PM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2012 11:56 AM in response to OpenYourEyesMedia

For what it's worth, I have the Sony HVR-V1U camera and had spent HOURS and HOURS trying to get my 27" iMac to even recognize that it was connected via 4-pin firewire (Sony iLink) to Apple 9-pin firewire 800 cable. Got a hold of Sony business support and they're telling that anything other than an Apple cable won't work - several models just don't seem to be wired correctly. I've been using a Rocketfish cable, and will try another brand tonight (I don't believe Apple itself makes a 4-pin to 9-pin firewire cable). So... anyone else having issues that they've isolated to the Rocketfish cable? If the computer itself can't see it... FCPX won't see it. Hope this helps someone out there.

Sep 24, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Westbuttress

I'm having the same problem as above.

After going through hours of experiment,

FINALLY, I said FINALLY, I manage to ingest footage from my camera to FCP.

I'm using

A - External Drive (mine is Maxtor One Touch III with 2 x 400 FireWire port... any drive will do provide they 2 x 400 FireWire port)

B - iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011 (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

C - 6-Pin FireWire 400 to 6-Pin FireWire 400 cable (by "not sure"... I guess any brands will do)

D - Sony HDV V1U

E - 4-Pin (iLink) to 6-Pin FireWire 400 cable (by APPLE... not sure other brands... I never try).

Here is what I do...

I connect "A" to "B" using "C" into one of the 400 FireWire port. Then I connect "D" to "A" using "E" into the other 400 FireWire port.

Viola!!! FCP recognize my camera.🙂

By the way I'm using FCP 7.0.3

Hope this help.... Thanks

Oct 30, 2012 10:38 AM in response to QAISH

Qaish, I'm having trouble with HVR V1U.

I just did this configuration with a Lacie drive.

What should I set the audio visual settings on? Stay on HDV, but now I'm not connected with a Sony Firewire.

Can you let me know what to set FCP on?

Also, I have been capturing routinely by using Firewire from the HVR V1U directly into the iMac. Today it's not working and I don't know why. Also, my iMac has never recognized the camera in Finder, but I was able to capture until today.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Nov 16, 2012 2:05 PM in response to OpenYourEyesMedia

I too am experiencing the same problems. Two different computers, multiple firewire cables (I don't know the brands of my cables, one is an adaptor, another came with the camera) and configurations. Both allow me to shuttle the deck controls (of the camera) from log and captuer. Neither sees the input video. Veescope sees nothing.

I see lots of people reporting similar symptoms, nobody really giving a solution.

Dec 9, 2012 7:52 AM in response to QAISH

I'm having the same problem as above.

After going through hours of experiment,

FINALLY, I said FINALLY, I manage to ingest footage from my camera to FCP.

I'm using

A - External Drive (mine is Maxtor One Touch III with 2 x 400 FireWire port).

User uploaded file

B - iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011 (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

User uploaded file

C - 6-Pin FireWire 400 to 9-Pin FireWire 800 cable.

User uploaded file

D - Sony HDV V1U

User uploaded file

E - 4-Pin (iLink) to 6-Pin FireWire 400 cable.

User uploaded file

Here is what I do...

I connect "A" to "B" using "C". Then I connect "D" to "A" using "E".

Viola!!! FCP recognize my camera.🙂

By the way I'm using FCP 7.0.3

Hope this help.... Thanks

May 8, 2013 1:13 AM in response to OpenYourEyesMedia

I believe the problem is in the firewire connection between the camera/external drive/mac computer. I have a Sony HDR V1U, a LaCie Rugged external drive and a MacBook Pro running FCP 7 on OSX10.8.

I have found that the Mac won't capture from the V1U if you connect the V1U using a 4-pin to 6-pin (FireWire 400). So, here's my work around:

I use a firewire 4-pin out from the V1U, to Firewire 800 into the Lacie Rugged external drive. Then, from the Firewire 400 port out of the Rugged drive, I use a Firewire 400 that converts to Firewire 800 that goes into the MacBook Pro.

For the Settings in FCP, I click under Final Cut Pro for the drop down menu, select "Audio/Video Settings" and choose the following: Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080i60, Capture Preset: HDV, Device Control Preset: Sony HDV FireWire for the third setting. Your Video Playback: None and Audio Playback: Default.

Make sure your camera is on, and turned to VCR mode.

Then, just to be safe, under the "View" drop down menu, select "Refresh A/V devices (OPT+F12)"

Now, press the 'Command+8' to open the Log and Capture window. You should be ready to capture!

Aug 21, 2013 11:13 AM in response to OpenYourEyesMedia

I'm not sure if you fix the problem, but I was having the same issue for a second time today. The problem is that you need to change the settings at the capture screen. Make sure that you have the HDV selected, not the QUICKTIME. That is causing this big issue. If you are importing regular video the settings have to be with the quicktime, but if importing HD, the setting need to be changed to HDV.

Mar 6, 2014 2:12 PM in response to MediaMonkey

Great fix, Thank you. I had to "tape" and not go to a card on my Z5 the other day and half the tape couldn't be seen by my FCP 7. Two out of 8 clips could be imported and also be seen on QT7 but the others couldn't. I tried VCL, ClipWrap and MPEG streamclip to transcode the bad clips but they didn't work. The only thing that did was to change all my import settings - which was counter intuitive - re import. Yea, it WORKED! Thank you so much. (no prob with the fire wire BTW)

Importing HDV video from Sony HVR-V1U (troubleshooting)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.