Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library in multiple access by using time capsule

Im finding an easy way to store my aperture library networkly, to make use of 2TB - 3TB spaces since there is not enough space in my mac air and to be able to work through my photos with my other macs. I know that time capsule could store files wirelessly, so i thought of using time capsule to store my aperture library, is this possible to work through aperture library in the time capsule? does aperture recognize library in time capsule? can vault be updated and stored in the time capsule? been reading many articles and reviews and none of them give a clear answer. really waiting for a reply thx alot

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 7:43 PM

16 replies

Dec 2, 2011 1:26 AM in response to illuzyt

Hello I have not tried this. I am quite sure it could work but so slowly that you can't use it (Aperture do a lot of access to its database through the Hard Disk). If your Apaerture dabase is accessed through wi-fi it will be very slow. It could be better if a least you can plug your Time Capsule to you Mac Air through the ethernet cable, but even by wire it will still be slow.

Dec 2, 2011 2:51 PM in response to illuzyt

It not recommended by the manufacturer of the hardware and the software. It's not recommended by regular posters here at the Aperture User-to-User forum, because of the reports that regularly come in of Aperture failing to work when users ignore the advice given by the manufacturer of the hardware and the software. If you would like to try it, do so. If it works well, please post back.

How bad can it be? It can fail catastrophically, losing data stored in your Library.

Will it fail for you? Don't know.

Dec 3, 2011 1:12 AM in response to illuzyt

its just say strongly recommend is this mean it also work? but how bad performance can it be? anyone has tried it before?

It is not a question of bad performance - it is a question of data base design and data base integrity.

Aperture will be considerably slower if it has to use the network to the database, you could certainly live with that if you are a patient person, but much more important: Aperture has not been designed as a network database. If the network fails during a data transaction your Aperture database very well may be left in limbo, in an inconsistent state from that it will be difficult to recover. And some day that will happen, and you will corrupt and loose your data base beyond repair (I believe in Murphy's Laws)

Don't use software for purposes it has not been designed for. You wouldn't use a strainer to carry water instead of a bucket to carry it, or cross the ocean in a little jolly boat instead of using a sea going vessel.

Apr 17, 2013 12:38 PM in response to illuzyt

I have found the posts above very interesting. As a PC users for 20 years I am new to Apple purely because of Microsofts release of its unuseable Windows 8 OS.

Having had iPhones and iPads my initial reaction to the hardware has been astonishing, I will never buy a MS PC again. But the more I delve into usability I begin to worry.

This is a primary example, how can you have a photo management product (that I have just PAID for) which can not handle a library that sits on a remote drive? No one on the planet with a family, multiple computers and family history over 5 minutes would store their photo library on the hard drive of a single computer! I have never heard of anything so ridiculous.

How do I get my money back? I will simply install Acdsee pro which is cheaper than Aperture and handles muliple files loctaions across multiple computers, networks and drives with ease.

Hugely dissapointed! Stunned!!

Apr 17, 2013 1:55 PM in response to illuzyt

For what it's worth, I have been using a different approach with great results for several months now.

When Thunderbolt was released, I was determined not to buy any more slow USB or Firewire drives. However I could not afford to replace my Macs all at once and needed a solution.

So, I bought a base model Mac Mini, installed Mac Server, and attached ALL of my drives to the Mini. Included is a new Thunderbolt 4TB drive dedicated to Aperture databases.

All of my Macs are attached by wired Ethernet (1GB), and now even the older Macs have access to very fast drives (considerably faster than locally attached USB drives). I also configured Time Machine on the Mini to make the Raid Array I have attached for backup available for all Macs on the network. So, it not only backs up the Aperture drive (and my document drives as well) but each Mac now uses the shared Raid Array for backup.

The only issue I had to deal with is when the Mac goes to sleep, and the Shared Drive connections are lost. To resolve that I have the main computer (where I run Aperture) never go to sleep, and remount the drives on restart.

Since setting this up I can tell you that I am thrilled. Performance is amazing, never have had any issues, and in a pinch I can launch Aperture from another comptuer and work on any of my libraries.

Apr 17, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Big Nige

Well, sometimes Apples give you gas, but I, for one, suggest not announcing your first meal that way. Microsoft, from its very first sale on-board a corporate jet, promises the moon and delivers hot cheese -- some call it fondue. You can live on it; many prefer not to. Apple promises good fare -- a bit expensive -- but you can make three squares with it any day of the week, and have time left over for picnics. Have a seat -- here's a sunny spot 🙂 -- recover your equanimity, and try the local food a week. You might end up liking it -- it might even bring a ruddy glow to your cheeks!

As for reversing your exchange of lucre -- I don't know. I suggest asking those who sold you the bruised fruit. We here are simply users, sharing our expertise freely, and (ahem) cheerily. Apple sponsors these discussion groups, but does not, as corporate policy, read them or respond to posts. If you would like to submit a comment about Aperture to Apple, you must do so using the (only) corporate-approved channel: Provide Aperture Feedback. (The same is available from Aperture's eponymous menu item.)

There are multi-user image databases available on the Mac platform. Two mentioned regularly in our little clearing in the orchard are Extensis Portfolio, and Canto Cumulus. They do not come cheap, but are said to be robust and well-worth-the-expense by those who use them. Their expense may, perhaps, explain why Aperture remains what it always has been: a single-user image database. It works well (I use it everyday, on Libraries intimate and Libraries huge). It never fails to please me and surprise me. (Well, in sum, anyway -- I have complained about a few design issues.) Before flushing it for ACDC Pro, you might stick around and give it a try. Or buy one of the multi-user databases.

Good luck!

Aperture library in multiple access by using time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.