Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How is a Time Machine sparsebundle associated with a machine?

When performing a TM wireless backup, a sparsebundle with a name based on the machine being backed up is created, but if you rename that sparsebundle, it is still used for the backup. What would I need to do to preserve that backup and start a new one on the same drive (connected to an Airport Extreme)?

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 2:39 AM

10 replies

Dec 2, 2011 10:50 AM in response to NewYorkYogi

The only documentation I know of is the tmutil(8) man page, which says this:

Machine directories and sparsebundles are owned by one computer

at a time, and are tracked by unique identifiers rather than com-

puter name, host name, or ethernet address. The inheritbackup

verb reassigns the identity of the specified item, reconfiguring

it so the current host recognizes it during backups. When inher-

iting a sparsebundle, the machine directory within will also be

claimed.

Dec 2, 2011 11:28 AM in response to NewYorkYogi

Nothing prevents you from creating more than one partition on the same physical device, and using each of those partitions alternately to back up the same machine. I don't know why you'd want to do that, since it makes no sense, but you could. I hope you're not making the mistake of confusing Time Machine with an archiving system. It isn't one, and if you try to use it that way you'll inevitably come to grief.

Dec 2, 2011 11:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

Unless I am misremembering, there used to be (or still is) a long thread describing the benefits of having a separate partition for each TM sparsebundle; by the user Ponzi, I believe. I appreciate you trying to protect me by steering me away from using TM as an archiving system, but I don't use it that way (I use CCC and a separate FW drive stored off site). But, thank you (sincerely) anyway. 😉

My question is this: Let's say I have a Foo drive, my computer is Bar, and I have a TM Bar's.sparsebundle on that drive. I want to leave that backup alone, rename it to Bar's Old.sparsebundle, and have TM start over with a new Bar's.sparsebundle on that same Foo drive. I want to be able to access both of the TM backups for recovery reasons. Is there an officlal way to do this? From what I can see there is not, because all you get to do when you set up TM is point it to a drive, and when I tried renaming the sparsebundle manually, TM still used it.

Dec 2, 2011 12:29 PM in response to NewYorkYogi

Let's say I have a Foo drive, my computer is Bar, and I have a TM Bar's.sparsebundle on that drive. I want to leave that backup alone, rename it to Bar's Old.sparsebundle, and have TM start over with a new Bar's.sparsebundle on that same Foo drive. I want to be able to access both of the TM backups for recovery reasons. Is there an officlal way to do this?

If you're qualified to use the shell, you can do that sort of thing with tmutil. See its manual page. Otherwise, no.

How is a Time Machine sparsebundle associated with a machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.