Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 installation black screen on BOOTCAMP

Hello guys,

i recently upgraded my macbook pro mid 2009 from 4 to 8 gigs of ram and 320 to 1 tb hard drive. before the upgrade i had boot camped windows 7 ulti 64 bit with no problems. now that i have upgraded, nor 32 bit and 64 bit installation are even seen. i tried multiple windows disks and portioned and rebooted multiple times too. what happens is:

1) create partition on bootcamp

2) enter disk

3) click "start installation"

4) computer reboots

5) black screen with small cursor blinking

6) black screen with nothing... (disk almost stops spinning)

i would really appreciate ur answer as i am now trying to find a solution for 2 weeks. thanks

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 4:50 AM

RAM either the mix or quality

also, pull ram until installed and up

10 replies

Dec 2, 2011 7:00 AM in response to Brian Obrar

all I am saying is that what others learned the hard way thru trial and error, and even PCs, sometimes you need to reduce the total RAM.

I know OWC and I know that even two batches of RAM from Crucial sometimes don't 'play nice.'

Try it first, it isn't a waste of time.

And OWC RAM can have trouble. Or fail, which I see in Mac Pros using FBDIMMs regularly.

Dec 2, 2011 7:47 AM in response to Brian Obrar

I know you don't trust me, but trust other people that have run into the same situation, which I am passing on to you.

Has nothing to do with OWC or that they are seated properly.

NO TWO DIMMS are 100% identical! Their DNA (electronic etching) will vary. Vary enough, and trouble. And a lot of PC users are in the habit on doing the install with reduced RAM and to always remove all add'l disk drives (not an issue, but it can be an issue to have USB and FW devices connected).

Dec 3, 2011 2:09 PM in response to Brian Obrar

My arm twisting - and I tend to give up early on hard to crack (my arm is still sore from all the twisting ;-)

Sometimes things even fall into a slot. Like leaving the patient open for surgery there is risk of contamination and infection.

So Windows is more prone and sensitive to issues, yes?

That is actually a good thing.

Maybe in the process it acted to reset the system management controller too (SMC).

Lesson for me anyway, don't take "no" for an answer.

Feb 2, 2012 11:54 AM in response to The hatter

Hey man, I ve got the same problem. I just put my MAC together. I tried all you suggested. I removed one of the RAMs I disconnected the computer from battery for some 5-10 minutes but still the same thing :-/

When I boot, from the DVD the screen goes black. However when I use rEFI and use one of the option to boot from DVD I can see "Windows is loading files" screen, it takes few seconds and than when the Windows animation is to come to the screen I can see just some glimps onf the windows colour on the top of the screen like max 2 pix (high) ... As if something was wrong with the GPU.

I am using MBP 13 2011 (Winter) 8GB RAM and Hyper X for main drive. What do you think?

Windows 7 installation black screen on BOOTCAMP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.