Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the language of the Pages spelling checker doesn't work.

Hi there,

I changed my settings in System Preferences and Pages itself. When I changed the Pages settings it just turned back from Dutch (the language I want to set my spelling checker to) to English. It's just really annoying to see my whole document filled with red underlining and obviously to not have a proper working spelling checker.

Please help.

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:32 AM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2011 7:33 AM in response to -deZeeuw

-deZeeuw wrote:

Hi there,

I changed my settings in System Preferences and Pages itself.

To what? Dutch or English? Have you dragged Dutch/English to the top of the list to make it the default?

When I changed the Pages settings it just turned back from Dutch (the language I want to set my spelling checker to) to English. It's just really annoying to see my whole document filled with red underlining and obviously to not have a proper working spelling checker.

Have you checked what the language that you selected was set to:

Inspector > Text > More > Language: Nederlands

It will stick with the default language, unless you change it to something else. The language is part of the text style like, bold, italic or the font. You may need to update your styles to match your intended language.

Peter

Dec 2, 2011 7:35 AM in response to -deZeeuw

In a document, the language used by the spell checker is defined from the Inspector of text.

If you select a piece of text which is treated as English then open this Inspector, I guess that you will see that the selected language is English.

User uploaded file

Select the entire document then select Dutch.

As far as I know, Pages is unaware of the selection which you made from the System PrefPane.

User uploaded file

This System feature was introduced in mac OS X 10.6 but iWork was designed for 10.5.

We have to wait for the next upgrade to get iWork applications aware of the features available in this System Preference pane (the Text page).

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 2 janvier 2011 16:34:54

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.2

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Dec 2, 2011 12:15 PM in response to -deZeeuw

Pages does not follow the spell check settings in System Preferences, so you must select them within Pages, independently of what you select in sys prefs.

For the time being, Mac OS X, Lion included, has a quite complicated spell check selection in case of multinational texts, in which 2-3 languages are used. I could do that for Nisus, with the help of Martin Wierschlin, but otherwise it is quite cumbersone.

Yvan Koenig commented the rest. User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2013 1:29 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thanks for clearing this up. Because the spelling settings are so different than other mac applications, I didn't even think of looking there. The two solutions I used until now were:

- Temporary setting the system language to English when writing english letters.

- Writing the letter in textedit and than paste the corrected text into Pages.

No Idea why I never noticed this language setting between the options. And I must admit that it has its charmes being able to set it for multilingual texts this way.

Feb 9, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Briolet

The Language Settings are defined by the system and are not different in Pages.

All that Pages does is let you redefine the language of selected text using the Text Inspector.

What it is doing is tagging that selected text and saying this text is that language, use the appropriate spell checker.

As an attribute of the Text you can save a Paragraph Style/s of the text in the Styles Drawer, tagging it (Eng) or whatever and apply that to the English text as you need it.

Peter

Changing the language of the Pages spelling checker doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.