Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists with Date Criteria

It seems any smart playlist with a date criteria (ie: Date Added) will not show up on any device that access the iTunes Match Service. I have several smart playlists with a date criteria and they show up blank on my iphone and ipad. Yet, if I delete the date criteria, the playlist populates on the device. I tried creating a smart playlist with just the date criteria and then in a new smart playlist referencing the date criteria smart playlist and the new playlist will not upload to icloud because an icloud smart playlist can not reference another smart playlist

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 11:53 AM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2011 9:09 PM in response to Anthony Fontanet

So I went through technical support because I had this exactly some problem. Smart playlist shows up in iTunes on my iMAC, as well as via Apple TV (both via iCloud and Home Sharing options.) It also fully populates those smart playlists.

For my pre-existing Smart Playlists (that only have criteria for the GROUPING field) show up, have songs, but are quite a few songs short. I then created a brand new play list with brand new tracks... and its empty on iPhone 4S and iPAD2. Apple TV and IMAC are fine.

So technical support provided me with this response: For smart playlists to work on iOS devices, the songs must be downloaded to the device.

My feedback was this: So this is chicken and the egg. You create the playlist to easily locate and download those songs to your device, but you cant because they have to be on your device before they will show in the playlist.

I suppose the only work around is to create the smart playlist w/ your filters. THEN create a regular playlist and copy everything in the SMART Playlist into the regular playlist.

I have not used Apple products for very long... approaching 2 years. I moved everything to Apple. Computers, laptops, portable devices, etc... I have been VERY impressed. HOWEVER, this makes the point of Smart Playlists completely manual when it comes to your iOS device.

I will for sure be launching a compliant to www.apple.com/feedback.

Dec 28, 2011 5:31 PM in response to DJChad

Actually, that answer from technical support isn't even entirely correct, either. A lot of the Smart Playlists just don't work on mobile devices through iTunes Match any more at all. For instance, any playlists that use time-criteria. Or playlists that are based on play count. Or playlists that reference other playlists (although that's an admitted problem with iTunes Match in the first place).

And yes, unaddressed issues of this magnitude pretty much make iTunes Match a failure to those of us who have large music collections. GMusic has the same capacity, and is free. The only "advantage" iTunes Match had was compatibility with my smart playlists.

As always, submit feedback early and often.

Dec 29, 2011 10:32 AM in response to Anthony Fontanet

Hey, i've found a solution for this:

I used to have Date criterias like "played within the last 2 weeks" or similar (i don't know how it is named in the english version of itunes, since i used it in german language, but i hope you will find the correspondig criteria).

I have changed the "relative" date condition to an "absolute" date.. for example "played after 2011/12/12".

If you do it that way, it should work fine... tested with iPhone 4 iOS 5.01.

By the way: you can duplicate your original smart playlist for testing..

Smart Playlists with Date Criteria

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.