Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does iphone 4 support A2DP bluetooth for music files?

Does the iphone 4 music files (from my itunes) support A2DP bluetooth music profile? I am having trouble getting my Motorola T325 bluetooth car speaker to play my music--works great for the phone!

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 12:17 PM

22 replies

Dec 27, 2011 8:41 AM in response to Rysz

question: does it support it with iOS 5.0.1? I have a Boston Acoustics soundbar that supports A2DP and it worked fine with iOS 4.x release with iPod Touch and iPad 2, but when I upgraded to iOS 5.x, it stopped working. It does not work with iPhone running iOS 5.x either.

Let me know if you have it working with iOS 5.x release - thanks.

Dec 27, 2011 10:02 AM in response to KiltedTim

Good suggestion. I have deleted the pairing on the iOS device (e.g. "forget this device", etc.) and have reset the pairing on the Boston Acoustics (e.g. delete the pairing). It does re-pair again without problem. I hear about 1/2 second of music and then sound drops out. Then the pairing shows it being lost on the iOS device (iPad2, iPhone or iPod Touch). Pairing seems to bounce in & out, but no music is played. It worked fine with iOS 4.x.x release, but stopped working with iOS 5.x.x. I'm stuck using a cable now. ... until Apple fixes iOS. I know it is iOS because it worked fine with iOS 4.x.x, the Boston Acoustics was not "upgraded" and is the same, and the only thing that changed was iOS 4.x.x to iOS 5.0.1 upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion. Please let me know if you have another I can try - I would like to get it working. Thanks again.

Dec 27, 2011 10:10 AM in response to rich-IL

You're probably going to need an update for the Bostn Acoustics unit. The only changes Apple made to the bluetooth stack were to update to the latest standard. Lots of manufacturers have begun having issues and a number of them, most notably, Ford, Audi, etc. have issued updates for their systems to fix the compatibility problems.

Dec 27, 2011 4:55 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim - That would make sense, but Boston Acoustics is not "upgradeable" so I'm left hanging (e.g. no internet connection or USB port to upload a new release). $600 investment rendered useless (for streaming music) because Apple updated to the latest bluetooth release.

Updates to the latest bluetooth standard in Apple devices should also be backwards compatible so as not to obsolete all the peripherals that were sold to work with the older bluetooth standard. That is common process in high tech equipment and should have been done here as well. Apple should not blindly upgrade bluetooth haphazardly like that as it impacts everyone's "setup". A backwards compatible solution should be added to the next iOS release with auto-sense to determine which release the connected device is using so that operation is backwards compatible.

Apple works (or should I say worked) with Ford, Audi, Boston Acousitcs, and other third party vendors to allow for "Apple Anywhere" to take place and then without notice just changes the bluetooth standard supported? Again, not only is that poor software methodology, but poor business practice as well - in my humble opinion.

Hopefully, this will be taken care of in the next iOS release. Sorry to vent, but I think that is not a way to treat third party vendors and end customers. Apple enables competitors, when taking steps like this, to come in and propose solutions that won't change on a moments notice and provide some assurance to interoperability for the future. I'm an Apple fan and have been one since the late '80's when I purchased my first IIci Mac for $5,000. i just hope this is not a new trend.

Dec 27, 2011 5:12 PM in response to rich-IL

Your ire seems to be misdirected at the wrong party. The new Bluetooth 4 standard is backwards compatible. Apple complies with the standard. None of my many Bluetooth devices were affected by the new standard. I would suggest that it is Boston Acoustic's implementation of the old standard that is faulty and you should contact BA.

Dec 27, 2011 5:14 PM in response to rich-IL

That's assuming that it really is due to a bluetooth update on Apple's side. Sometimes an iOS update doesn't go quite right and odd things can happen.

You can try restoring the phone to re-load iOS, and at the end of the restore process try re-loading your last backup so that you don't have to re-do everything on the iPhone. However, re-loading a backup can perpetuate a problem if there's something wrong with your backup, so to get around that you'd restore the iPhone but set it up as a new device. The problem there is that (a) you have to re-do all your settings, preferences, accounts, and you'll lose texts and app data you've accumulated, and (b) there's no guarantee that will fix the bluetooth issue.

Dec 27, 2011 5:43 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Rock: It doesn't work on an iPad2, iPod Touch and iPhone 4s. It did work with iPad2 and iPod Touch before as I had them loaded with iOS 4.x.x (the iPhone 4S came with iOS 5 loaded). I'll investigate reloading a backup on the iPod Touch, once I get my new iMac 27" replacement (which is replacing a new iMac 27" that had a CD drive mis-aligned that would not eject CDs (another problem for another thread - actually Apple is fixing it without issue, so no issue on my side)). Thanks for the suggestion.

Rysz: I'll also go back to Boston Acoustics and see if they have determined if it is in fact an issue with their bluetooth implementation or not. It is just frustrating because it worked wonderfully prior to 5.0.1, so even though Bluetooth 4 is considered backwards compatible, it appears Apple's new implementation of Bluetooth 4 is not backwards compatible to Apple's implement of the prior bluetooth standard offered on iOS 4.x.x (which third party vendors have implemented to). I know how standards go and they are not always implemented completely, or implemented by a particular vendor's view of how they should implement the standard, which is why there is interoperability testing that is done. That said, Apple's 5.0.1 version of bluetooth is not compatible with Apple's 4.x.x version of bluetooth, for if it was, I would not be typing into this discussion thread.

Meg: Thanks - I input my feedback into the proper feedback form - thanks. I didn't know that was an option.

Thanks again for suggestions/feedback - much appreciated.

Jan 24, 2012 8:22 AM in response to randyfromwinter park

I also purchased the Boston Acoustic TVee-30 Soundbar due to its bluetooth connection to my ipod. It worked fine until I also upgraded to 5.0.1 and then it was gone. As stated above there was a sudden burst of sound when first connected (no music) and then nothing. Spoke to an Apple tech rep today who said many are having this problem but she did not know what, if anything , was being done. Suggested posting on www.apple.com/feedback/ to keep their attention on the problem.

Here is the post on Boston Acoustic site on this:

It is likely you have upgraded the firmware on your Bluetooth device to the IOS5 system. The system AD2P module has been modified for a 4 speaker configuration which makes it currently incompatible with our unit. The best thing to do in this situation is to contact the manufacturer of the device you are trying to pair the TVee-30 with and ask them if the unit is compatible with Bluetooth system v2.1+EDR, A2DP v1.2.

http://http://bostonacoustics.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/444

With no ability to upgrade the Bluetooth on the soundbar the only logical and less hassle approach would be for Apple to fix the problem they created. They apparently choose to ignore it and not give anyone any info on possible solutions (or even admit there is one). Returning the product for an eventual upgrade or refund to BA is a major annoyance and expense when you see the size of the box this came in.

does iphone 4 support A2DP bluetooth for music files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.