Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Easy way to kill a server

Hi,

I have an OSX 10.6.8 Leopard server and also an iMac running Lion 10.7.2

Because I was wondering why there was some unsolicited trafic on the network I took a look on the iMac at systems Preferences for mail, contacts and calendars.

In addition to my mail accounts it also showed a chat account (jabber) which I have never used. So I decided to delete it.

The systems responded with a warning asking if I wanted to delete this server and as I never use this service OK I clicked yes.

Waht happened? The server crashed!! It was gone. I could still login and navigate around but all the server stuff (domain) had disappeared. No mail, no iCal, no open directory. Nothing.

This is rediculous. How can you kill an entire domain from another machine?

At least Time machine worked and I could recover back two hours previous. BTW the recovery dialog/progress indicator is crappy It just shows preparing to restore and estimating time. At some point with patience it actually finishes.

Anybody else had this expertience?

-Paul-

mac mini server, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 4:34 PM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2011 9:40 PM in response to PaulWhite

This is rediculous. How can you kill an entire domain from another machine?

It sounds like you misunderstand how your server is supposed to be managed.

The Server Admin tools are designed to manage remote machines. You're supposed to run your servers in one place (a datacenter, a server room, a locked closet) and be able to manage them from somewhere more comfortable (your desk, a couch, the local Starbucks, wherever). To that end it's absolutely right that you should be able to enable and disable services on a remote machine. I do it all the time.

Now, as for killing the entire machine, that comes as a little bit of a stretch. Are you sure you killed the machine, or just deleted your Server Admin's view of that machine? It sounds to me that the server was running just fine "...I could still login and navigate around...', just that you could not see your server in Server Admin. If that's the case just re-add the server to your Server Admin list (via the little + icon at the bottom) and you're back in business (not that you were ever out of business since your server was running quite happily).

A little more reading on Mac OS X Server's remote administration would seem like a good idea.

Dec 3, 2011 5:51 AM in response to PaulWhite

Servers are not clients, and not intended to be managed like clients.

Why? Servers usually serve muliple users.

Servers are expected to be managed differently than clients.

Servers are more complex than clients, and failures are more costly.

Servers are often maintained remotely. Many (most?) servers often don't have keyboards or displays attached, and it's common not to have a user logged into the server.

As part of typical management practices, servers receive dedicated backups, and servers will generally undergo comparatively fewer changes than client systems, and those server changes and those updates can be performed less often than with client.

Barring specific and critical fixes, it is seldom an advantage to rush the upgrades or changes with a server.

Why? Servers inherently serve multiple users, and often serve multiple functions. While a client system might and often will see more changes than will a typical server, any failures from those upgrades, installations or configuration changes will typically effect just one user with that client system. Failures with servers can effect multiple users (clients) of the server, or can disrupt services that are central to the operations of a business.

If you don't understand or are curious about a feature or setting, that's quite understandable and even admirable. After the question arises, then there's often some research and possibly some discussion questions posted, and quite possibly some direct experimentation. All of this is entirely warranted, typical and reasonable. It's typical to have a test server - or at least a full server backup - before the experiement; where you can test changes and back out changes with impunity.

But deleting stuff? There aren't "blade guards" here. Deleting "system" users, digital certificates, files or directories, or any of many other components? That's not always reversable, or not easily reversable. short of rolling in a backup.

Not all changes are reversable, and not all changes are innocuous, after all. Have a backup.

Dec 3, 2011 10:36 PM in response to Camelot

Sorry, I may not have explained enough.

On my iMac in office #1 under preferences I called up mail, contacts and calenders.

This has nothing to do with remote server management as far as I can see.

Here I removed the jabber service for the domain which lives on the OSX server in office #2.

Thereafter when I went "physically" to the server and used the server admin tool. My domain was GONE!

It may well be that I made a mistake then rolling back from my previous backup, as there may have been a simpler way to get the domain to show up and become administerable again.

Luckily we do hourly server backups and use replication for the databases.

Anyway thanks for the sugesstions.

-Paul-

Dec 3, 2011 10:43 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for you answer.

I do appreciate that servers are different. We have sevaral. One of which is actually 6000 miles from our office here and obviously I don't have either keyboard or monitor attached to it.

What had irritated me was the fact, that changing an "Access" setting from a particular user could cause a change on the server. It seems there is a bug somewhere.

I am working on getting a second identical server as a backup for these situations. Obviously it needs to be able to use the same IP's as the original when it comes to a breakdown. This makes it difficult for me to use the remote Server. I suppose what one needs is a simple proxy server or some switching device as a front end which switches to the real servers as required.

Thanks for your help

-Paul-

Easy way to kill a server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.