Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share my iCloud Photostream with someone else with a different Apple ID? How?

Can I share my iCloud Photostream with someone else with a different Apple ID? How?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, iPad2 iOS 5.0.1, Windows 7 x64

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 5:19 PM

17 replies

Dec 22, 2011 4:17 AM in response to Julian Wright

You'll need to publish your photos to one of the many third party photo sharing web sites to allow others to view your photos.

so how do you do that?

I'm on my iPad on location and I've taken thirty pictures I'd like to share. My roaming provider has charged me a fortune to 'upload' these pictures to iCloud, and now I'd like others on the project to see them.

There is an option to email, or message, individual photos, (which would mean effectively uploading/sending again what's already been uploaded) but I don't see any means of getting an album distributed.

So what's this about third party software? Which app would share what's on my ipad with others? I'd gladly switch photostream off since it's costing a fortune to send data into a black hole.

Jan 1, 2012 3:58 AM in response to SaltSeaShark

SaltSeaShark wrote:

... and that's why we pay Apple the big bucks?

...you're not actually paying anything for iCloud, at least at basic level. And though I don't like it any more than your do, it's evident that Apple simply do not want to be in the website/gallery/file storage business any more. Indeed websites and file storage are handled better by a number of other firms, though the loss of the Gallery is a pity.

iCloud is really positioned to let iOS users get the maximum out of their devices as easily as possible - they can even be set up without the use of a computer.

Jan 1, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger, thanks again for your reply.

True, we're not paying for basic iCloud (yet) although we will be soon enough (see 'first hit is free' drug dealer business model).

However, we are paying over the odds for our Apple devices, and not just for elegant hardware design. The premium would be worth it if a comprehensive, well-thought-out, workflow/cloud architecture had been implemented. Trouble is, it hasn't.

I would agree it's become horribly apparent that apple has no interest in the website/gallery/file storage business any more. But Apple applications and devices deal in precisely this sort of business/data, and iCloud has been foisted upon us as a solution to some of the complexities involved. It has yet to deliver anything but more headaches for me.

Jan 7, 2012 4:10 PM in response to edfromminnetonka

Yes, iCloud is a HUGE dissapointment, to say the least. At the Keynote when Steve Jobs introduced iCloud, he admited that Apple did a bad job with MobileMe, but that iCloud would be far superior. But I don't get it. I think what he meant was that iCloud would be far more restrictive to uses where Apple has more access to your wallet. There isn't a single thing about iCloud that wasn't a dissapointment. It is useless, and as such, I for one have turned it off.

May 23, 2012 7:26 PM in response to SaltSeaShark

Yeah no kidding.

I have a big paid up MobileMe account with tons of gallery stuff - this will all go away for me in July, and I'll miss it - it took no learning to use, and it was built into everything - just intuitive to post to a gallery password protect it, and send a link to a friend. Click click done!

It bothers me a lot when features I really enjoy and use are pulled in these half baked new apps and services.

iMovie used to be quite good, but the new one is very restrictive - it's a step backwards in some ways.

MobileMe was fine, but iCloud takes away the Gallery???? - another step backward.

We use some iPhones at work for shooting some videos and technical engineering photo's, and while it's pretty cool that the iPhone photo's get put on the photostream of "Jason's iMac", I don't have instant access, and I would really like to be able to do that. If it could be done, then I can stay at home and work sometimes and I can get the photo's automagically.

Apple - please fix this.

May 24, 2012 3:30 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger Wilmut1 wrote:

SaltSeaShark wrote:

... and that's why we pay Apple the big bucks?

...you're not actually paying anything for iCloud, at least at basic level. And though I don't like it any more than your do, it's evident that Apple simply do not want to be in the website/gallery/file storage business any more. Indeed websites and file storage are handled better by a number of other firms, though the loss of the Gallery is a pity.

iCloud is really positioned to let iOS users get the maximum out of their devices as easily as possible - they can even be set up without the use of a computer.

I clearly remember Steve saying at a McWrld Expo, some 10~12 years ago when iTools and iDisk got launched that "Apple is going to host your files forever!".

Well !!! 😮

Jun 15, 2012 11:09 PM in response to edfromminnetonka

I'm obviously late to this thread but I finally switched from MobileMe and boy am I disappointed. The loss of Gallery is big and Photostream is an utterly massive piece of unadulterated garbage.

Why would I want to stream to my other devices? That's not sharing, it's just saving me the trouble of syncing. I want to stream it to members of my family and other people I know. And why can't I select what gets streamed? Not every picture is a keeper or maybe even something I want to share. I might have a boil on my backside that I need to get a better look at.

As for not paying for iCloud that's an exercise in semantics. I have a MBP 17", a Mac, and an iPhone 4S not to mention a pile of other Apple stuff. My wife has an iPad and iPhone. I've paid through the backdoor for Apple. With MobileMe Apple invited me to the cloud and now they've taken away a chunk of the functionality and hamstrung the rest through a very half-realized service.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.