Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my Safari cache? Have I misplaced my library?

Okay, I'm freaking out a little here.

My system is running a little slow, so I read that I should clear my Safari cache to speed things up. I wanted to determine just how much disk space the file was taking up so I went to the assigned /Users/Username/Library/Caches/Safari location only to discover that it doesn't exist on my computer.

In fact, even /Users/Username/Library doesn't exist! There is no library file under my username! I shat myself.

I do, however, have a Library file that has the preloaded blue Apple folder with the proper markings on it on my Hard drive. So the location would be /Library/Caches/. So I apparently removed the library folder that sould be under my user name over so that it comes up when I click on hard drive.

My question: can I now replace that Library folder back under my user name where it belongs? I can't imagine how long it's been in the wrong location--1.5 years maybe? How could my computer function without a library file to write to?! I use my computer 3 hours per day!

I appreciate any advice/knowledge you may wish to impart to me in this unusual circumstance. I almost wish I hadn't learned of this error b/c now I'm apprehensive about moving anything.

Thanks again!

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 8:09 PM

Hi James!

Here's the deal . . . Everyone has more than one Library. There's the HD > Library and the Users > Library.In 10.7, Apple hid the User's Library. A bod move, IMHO. The workaround is:

Click on the desktop to get the Finder menu. Then go up to "Go" in the menu

bar, while holding down the option key. You'll see the User Library in the drop

down list. So not to worry, you have the usual 2 Libraries.

To clear your Safari Cache, all you have to do is go up to the main Safari pull down menu on the top left of your screen, and select "Clear Cache."

So, is your System slow, or is your internet browsing slow???

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2011 8:09 PM in response to James Williams2

Hi James!

Here's the deal . . . Everyone has more than one Library. There's the HD > Library and the Users > Library.In 10.7, Apple hid the User's Library. A bod move, IMHO. The workaround is:

Click on the desktop to get the Finder menu. Then go up to "Go" in the menu

bar, while holding down the option key. You'll see the User Library in the drop

down list. So not to worry, you have the usual 2 Libraries.

To clear your Safari Cache, all you have to do is go up to the main Safari pull down menu on the top left of your screen, and select "Clear Cache."

So, is your System slow, or is your internet browsing slow???

Dec 3, 2011 5:49 PM in response to TildeBee

Thanks for the info! So I sould have a hidden Library folder located at /users/username/library, a system library at /System/Library, as well as another library that's just on my harddrive at /Library? Is that correct? It seems like the third one is redundant.

Question: which ones come stock from Apple's software? I did transfer about 500GB of data from my previous Mac, and I did it all by hand (not via specific software). So I may have transferred a library over to my new Mac while the Mac itself already had a Library folder waiting for my personal use--ergo, I may have a Library file that isn't being used AT ALL (ie for writing new files, referencing help data, etc) by my Mac. I'd like to be able to free up some space, which one of those 3 libraries is likely my old one?

Also, I pulled up the Library file that's under my username, and my Firefox cache is 1.09GB in size. My Safari cache is 658MB...the entire caches file is 2GB. Are those sizes unusual?

I'm asking b/c my QT is starting to get choppy and it's performance is degrading. I'll be playing a file and randomly the sound will stop while the video continues. I have to close other QT windows and relaunch the video to get sound back.

One more question: What is Quicklook Helper? My Activity Monitor shows this open quite frequently and it uses up a TON of my resources. I force quit it to improve performance. And later, I find it on again without knowing what I've done to start the program. What gives?

Thanks again for your input! I truly appreciate your help.

Where is my Safari cache? Have I misplaced my library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.