Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express to play music through 20th Anniversary Mac?

I'd like to be able to play music through the Bose sound system in my G3-upgraded 20th Anniversary Mac. I've used a very early version of iTunes but it annoyingly pauses fairly frequently while playing for some reason. Since I have an early Airport Express and have an Ethernet adaptor in the TAM I wondered if it's possible to connect the TAM via cable to the Airport Express and stream music from an iMac connected wirelessly to the Airport. It seems a shame not to utilize the Bose speaker system for music. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

20th Anniversary Mac-OTHER, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:25 PM

2 replies

Dec 6, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Lance Goddard

The only way I can think of to do this would be to connect the audio output from the Express to the input in your Mac and then use some sort of play-through software that would direct the audio input of the Mac directly to the speakers, something like LineIn, a freebie for Mac OS X from Rogue Amoeba. Dim memory seems to indicate that the Sound control panel in OS 9 has a "playthrough" setting, but it's been a long time so I'm not sure.

Regards.

Dec 12, 2011 2:12 AM in response to Lance Goddard

As far as I know this isn't possible. I might try some stuff using my TAM (although results may very, mine isn't a production model) to see about figuring something out. If the computers sit close enough together you might be able to run a 3.5mm(1/8") headphone cable between the iMac's audio out and the TAM's line in, that or make use of the FM tuner and listen to some awesome FM stations.

Now that I think of that you can invest in something like the link I'll add at the bottom of this, connect it to the speaker port of the iMac then use the tuner on the TAM to tune into the frequency of it. This would also allow the connecting of something such as an iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Transmitter-Sandisk-Microsoft-Creative/dp/B0028U8K 8Y

Airport Express to play music through 20th Anniversary Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.