Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are Apple doing about it?

So, I have just bought a brand new 2011 iMac. Never used Mac before but, since I have iPhone 4 and iPad 2 I just went ahead and bought it (after saving money for almost a year!)

Have to say, I am sooooo disappointed in day two. Problems? Internet keeps cutting out (yes, I've seen posts on here relating to that but NONE of them provide a solution). I haven't had a satisfactory browsing experience in the last two days! It's now p.....g me off big time and I am duly considering taking this iMac back to the store.

I am not techy minded so, posts suggesting change this DNS, that ISP, add this number etc... are no good. I am truly frustrated now.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE APPLE DOING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM SINCE IT SEEMS TO BE A GLOBAL ONE?

I have contacted Apple Support and am going to receive a call from them on Tuesday next week. I am sure they won't be able to give me a solution .... what else am I to do?

HELP!

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 2:25 AM

16 replies

Dec 3, 2011 4:05 AM in response to Venturer

It was not a critique, it was a simple question. You asked "What are Apple doing about it?". Why don't you try contacting Apple first and see if they can help you before you pass judgement. You do have 90 days of free technical support over the phone. i recently called Apple support and they were very helpful and were able to provide me with a solution. They were very polite and courteous.

Dec 3, 2011 7:42 AM in response to Venturer

Perhaps you could provide some information, such as how are you connecting to the internet? Are you connecting via a wirelss router? If so, it's possible that you have router issues. Have you tried contacting your internet provider to determine if they are having connectivity issues? These are two possibilities that would explain connectivity issues that are unrelated to your Mac.

Dec 3, 2011 8:06 AM in response to Venturer

You still may have router issues, for example if your router isn't up-to-date on it's firmware that could cause an issue with the iMac. You didn't mention what kind of router it is, if you are using an Apple Aiport Extreme, Airport Express or Time Capsule using Airport Utility to update the firmware. If you are using a third party router then look in the router's manual for information on how to update firmware.

Also these are user to user forums, Apple doesn't read them or comment on them. If you would like to comment directly to Apple for a suggestion you can do so at www.apple.com/feedback.

Dec 3, 2011 11:11 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I am just getting my wifi through the normal process - have an iMac and connect wirelessly (or not as the case may be) with the router. The router is Vodafone Home Gateway.

I have now contacted Apple through the link you posted - thank you.

Deeply frustrated. The longest I have had a continuous connection is for 1m 47s. This is sooooo bad, sooooo disappointing - I might just as well take it back and get a refund!!

Dec 3, 2011 11:35 AM in response to Venturer

Venturer wrote:

I am just getting my wifi through the normal process - have an iMac and connect wirelessly (or not as the case may be) with the router. The router is Vodafone Home Gateway.

I have now contacted Apple through the link you posted - thank you.

Good on contacting Apple, don't expect a response this is only a spot to offer feedback.

Re the router, you didn't say anything about checking the firmware to see if it's up-to-date....did you do that? This has worked for some users, not all but it's worth a try.

Dec 3, 2011 1:04 PM in response to Venturer

I'm not sure how to pcheck the firmware of the router (I really am not tech minded) but I could try if I had some guidance.

You need to look online (use Google) to for support for the type of router you own. Look on the router it will list the manufacturers name and model. Then Google that information to get some help. My guess is it is not an Apple router (it doesn't need to be) so if it's something like a Linksys WRT54G Google something like:

Update firmware Linksys WRT54G and you should find some information.

Dec 6, 2011 1:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hey there, I think I´ve resolved the problem.

I went to the Apple shop. As I was browsing around, I decided to buy an Airport Express for file sharing, music etc... So, I brought it home, set it up (after a couple of hitches) and now, my internet is working fine. I created a new network and just connect to the Apple network I created and I have had internet connectivity for as long as I remain on Safari!!

I have to say, I have left the AE connected to my router via the ethernet cable as I tried to put the AE into my bedroom, but the light kept flashing amber and I was losing connectivity. So, I´m not sure whether I´ve set it up totally correctly but hey, I am online!!

Just wondering whether it was incompatibility with router or something? Also, I changed the DNS´s of my router, and all seems to be working well.

Thanks once again!🙂

What are Apple doing about it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.