Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

overheating iphone 4 with ios 5.0.1

Has anyone got any advice on the overheating and poor battery life on iPhone 4?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 8:55 AM

3 replies

Dec 3, 2011 9:18 AM in response to jonathanfromyeovil

There are lots of discussions regarding this problem, and lots of ideas for how to remedy the problem. I have an iPhone 4, which was upgraded to iOS 5, and subsequently to iOS 5.01. I had no battery drain issues at any point in the device's life, until suddenly several days ago the battery started draining in 6 hours, even with very little use. I did all the suggested fiddling around with deleting recently added apps and cutting back on notifications, but the only thing that seemed to help was deleting and then readding email accounts.

Dec 3, 2011 2:02 PM in response to jonathanfromyeovil

Im in the same boat, my iPhone 4 has been suffering over the last few days. The rear will get overheated, will not connect to 3G network and battery life is way down. I am loosing around 10% every 40 minutes, and thats just in standby. I have reset 3 times to factory settings, with no luck. It would not turn on at all, i thought it was just a dead battery, so i charged it and still nothing. Started it in DFU and it came on with my battery at 58%???

Now the battery is still the same but it will not connect to 3G network at all, just says no service, wifi still works and my wife has same iPhone, same network but has no issues.

i know there will be a fix soon, but for me soon can not wait.

Dec 3, 2011 3:23 PM in response to Shm1ck

Yep. I haven't had the complications with not being able to connect to 3G, but my wife also has an iPhone 4 and has been upgrading along with me. She has not seen any of the same problems, and in fairness to Apple I've been upgrading very aggressively and have not seen any problems either up until the last few days.

I reset my phone once during this most recent bout of problems. That didn't do anything and I'm not a big believer in trying resets repeatedly. There just isn't enough room for human error in the reset process to expect a different outcome the 2nd or 3rd time.

I tried shutting down notifications and location services, but that didn't do anything. I did buy a cool app called "Process Killer" for .99. That yielded some interesting results in that I had processes that may or may not have been still running (I'm partially color-blind and the UI is color-coded) for apps that I had uninstalled as part of my quest to kill an offending app or two. I found it surprising that there were any artifacts remaining from the apps that I had removed. Regardless, cleaning up these processes still didn't make a difference.

For me, the solution was deleting my email accounts. I have an Exchange account for work, and an IMAP account for personal mail. I suppose I could have deleted these one at a time to find the real culprit, but I just wanted to fix my problem ASAP so I deleted them both at the same time.

I re-added both accounts at the same time, everything synched up, the phone cooled down, and a charge now lasts the normal amount of time!

overheating iphone 4 with ios 5.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.