Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore SMS history back on to iPhone 4s [Windows 7 Users]

Hi

No disrespect for Mac users, it's just that I need specific Windows 7 help... 😉

I have a need to do a full restore on my iPhone 4s [can you guess why?]

I am ok with all the things that will happen when I do, what I'll lose and what I'll have to manually restore but the one thing preventing me is that I really don't want to lose my SMS/Text mesage history. I realise this is sentimental and not a life altering thing to lose but I'm really keen to do anything I can to keep this little history of my life.

I know I can use some clever software to pull the texts from my phone onto my PC to read and archive as .pdf, .csv etc but none of those seem to allow one to restore the SMS back onto a clean and restored phone. You can only seem to do that by using a previous back-up and that is the very thing I have to avoid.

So I did some digging about here and in the wider web world and I now know where my SMS history is kept and I've proved that it's there and that it does just contain my SMS history.

Its here, in the file named 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28, which resides in "%Appdata/Roaming/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup/[long string name]"

So here's my idea:

1. Back-up iPhone via iTunes
  2. Save a copy of my entire back-up to a safe place on my HD
  3. Do the full, clean restore of the phone
  4. Set it all up as I need: Music, apps, emails; you know the drill
  5. Back-up to iTunes now, and only now.
  6. Take that file [3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28] from my old back up [but only that] and replace the one in the lastest backup with this. [using copy/paste]
  7. Do another restore but this time let the phone update from the backup that I made when it was clean but with the added file in step 6.

My theory is that I'll benefit from the cleanliness of a fresh restore but will fool iTunes into thinking the sms history is valid for this handset.

So...

• Will this work?
  • Has anyone tried this?
  • Is there a less complicated way to do what I'm trying to achieve?

I'm happy to give this a go but a little reassurance would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice...

iPhone 4S, Windows 7, iOS5.0.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 9:54 AM

bleepingApple wrote:

Will this work?

Should work just fine. Just remember, the first thing done when you sync is an iPhone backup. So, to make sure you have complete control, disable auto-sync under iTunes>Preferences>Devices.

Has anyone tried this?

Yep.

Is there a less complicated way to do what I'm trying to achieve?

Nope.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2011 9:54 AM in response to bleepingApple

bleepingApple wrote:

Will this work?

Should work just fine. Just remember, the first thing done when you sync is an iPhone backup. So, to make sure you have complete control, disable auto-sync under iTunes>Preferences>Devices.

Has anyone tried this?

Yep.

Is there a less complicated way to do what I'm trying to achieve?

Nope.

Dec 3, 2011 10:16 AM in response to wjosten

Yeah, thanks, I will take care. Normally I'd have jumped in with both feet but I felt I should check-in here on this one.

My safegaurd is to copy the whole mobilesync folder to a safe place. If things get hairy I know I can simply put that version back, restore back to it and at least be back where I started.

I'll also copy the 'new' backup in between steps 5 & 6 above, in a different folder.

Thanks again.

May 19, 2012 7:56 PM in response to wjosten

Would this method work using a iPhone 4S (iOS5.1.1) on Mac OSX10.6.8 (latest version of iTunes as of 20/5/12)?

I have found the very same file bleepingApple has mentioned.

I have read a few forums explaining solutions or visited websites for software that should enable this, but all are referring to iOS versions ealier than mine, and or iTunes versions earlier.

I need to restore as a new phone and then transfer only the sms's across.

Is there a recommended software package or even a manual method (like bleepingApple mentioned) that works with my specifications? Also should add, I don't want to have to jailbreak my iphone to get the relevant data back on.

Restore SMS history back on to iPhone 4s [Windows 7 Users]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.