Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5 fails to block annoying images

Has anyone managed to find an extrension for safari 5 that will block annoying, moving, flashing images on web pages. I have PithHelmet, GlimmerBlocker, AdBlock, Click to Flash, etc. installed and still get animations such as the Amazon widget on macenstein.com that won't go away. This item is easily blocked in FireFox, without having to install a half dozen different extensions, which still fail to do the job in Safari.

I have been using FireFox mostly for the last couple of years because Safari, IMHO, is just not ready for prime time. As a user of many Apple products I like to give Safari a fair shake now and again, especially now that iCloud is supposed to synch my phone and computer's bookmarks, but alas, Safari is unusable to me as long as it won't stop those annoying images.

I've read a lot of forums on this subject and searched out add-ons and extensions for years but still can't find how to make Safari a comfortable user experience in this respect. Anyone out there know of anything that really works?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 10:47 AM

7 replies

Dec 4, 2011 10:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc, ClickToPlugin gives the expected grayed out Flash box, don't know why ClickToFlash wouldn't.

Trying to find a particular extension on the Apple site is near impossible as I can't find a search box for just extensions.

I keep trying to use Safari but it is not nearly as user friendly to keep updated as is FireFox. Apple came late to the extensions game and seems reluctant still to make them easy to find and utilize. They also seem to be behind the power curve when it comes to providing ways for us to block a site's many annoyances. I know it's not just me that wants to be able to look at a web page and not have things moving, flashing, bouncing, etc. all over the place vying for my attention. It is very nice to be able to just Control click on an annoyance in FF and tell NoScript to ban it forever.

I do like Safari's Reader better than the one for FF though.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip. I had come across ClickToPlugin but hadn't seen a reason to replace the ClickToFlash extension on either FF or Safari; now I will do the same with FF.

Aug 12, 2013 11:59 PM in response to William Dalzell

below "random Mac Chick" there is a blank frame, and 2 more as you go up the right side to top. I see the gorgeous women, but since my Flash is tool old, it puts Blocked Plugin in some areas, the rest are just blank.

William Dalzell wrote:

How's this?

http://macenstein.com/default/

Right hand column, all the way down, there is a box marked Support Macenstein ...

this is probably blank for me due to old Flash.

now If I can lear about the extensions....

Safari 5 fails to block annoying images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.