Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving items to the trash is taking 8 hours so far; i dropped and dragged picaboo x and adobe and they appear stuck

I tried moving picaboo x and adobe to the trash can and they have been "moving picaboo x to trash" etc for over 8 hours. I cannot restart my computer as these are in the process, or shut down my comptuer. What do I do? I was doing this because they kept freezing and were not operating right so I was going to remove and reinstall them. I simply dragged them from applications to the trash to remove.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 10:32 AM

8 replies

Dec 4, 2011 12:40 PM in response to janet260

Well you can always force shutdown your computer by pushing the power button for about 7 seconds or until it shuts down.

You might then want to try to reboot just to make sure you can. If not boot from your recovery partition and run Disk Utility to check your boot volume. You might want to do that anyway even if you can successfully reboot.

You didn't say how many files the stuff you want to delete but here's an article about trash problems:

Solving Trash Problems

FWIW, removing massive amounts of stuff by moving them to the trash and empting the trash is not the fastest operation in the world! You can use terminal to do it faster. As an example, say you have a folder with a lot of files in it, call it F. Then in terminal type sudo rm -rf followed by a space. Then in the finder click on F and drag it into the terminal window. You would then have a line that looks somthing like:

sudo rm -rf path-to-F

Hit return to erase F. You will get a prompt for your admin password because of the sudo (note, you may not need the sudo if there are no permissions problems to worry about). Your password is not echoed on the terminal as you type it.

Dec 4, 2011 12:53 PM in response to X423424X

sudo rm -rf path-to-F

FYI, this is not safe for a user with no shell experience. I have quite a bit of shell experience, and I would never enter such a command under any circumstances. You need to be very, very cautious about advising people to run data-destroying commands in the shell.

First, rm doesn't need to run as EUID root in most cases. And what good is the "f" option doing? Second, what happens if the user gets as far as "sudo rm -rf /" and then accidentally hits the return key? Do you realize what will happen then? All data, possibly including backups, will be deleted.

A safer way to delete in an interactive shell (still not foolproof for a beginner) is this:

ls -d path

rm -r !$

Dec 4, 2011 3:03 PM in response to janet260

If you've already partially deleted them, you should finish the job. It will go a lot faster if you had the secure-empty option enabled before.

I have never heard of "Picaboo X" so I can't help you with that. Your best bet would be to contact the developer.

There is no application called "Adobe," so I don't know what you were deleting. Adobe is a big software publisher with many products. It has its own support forums where you would be more likely to find answers than you would here.

One thing I can tell you is that reinstalling software is rarely the solution to any problem. That's the Windows way of thinking, which you should get away from as a Mac user.

Dec 4, 2011 3:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

Picaboo is a website that you use to create photo books. Adobe air is something that you need to run picaboo. Picaboo told me to uninstall and reinstall which is why I was trying to do that. They know I am using a mac, here is what they said (below) . I only got as far as dragginf them to the trash. I don't know what to do now. Should i try draggin them to the trash again, or is there another way to fix them not running correcly?

The following steps will guide you through uninstalling and reinstalling both Picaboo X and Adobe Air:

1. Perform a finder search for Picaboo X and uninstall it (there's no uninstaller to run, so you can just drag it to the trash).

2. Perform a finder search for Adobe Air, and run the Adobe Air Uninstaller.

3. Navigate to User > Library > Application Support > Adobe, and completely delete the "AIR" folder within.

4. Click on your main Macintosh HD, and open up the Library folder inside (this one is different from the Library folder in your User directory). Next, open the "Frameworks" folder and delete the "Adobe Air.framework" folder inside. That Adobe Air.framework folder may not be there, but it's important to check.

5. Visit http://www.picaboo.com/download to install Picaboo X once more.

After Picaboo is installed again, the problem should be resolved and you will be running the latest version.

If w

Dec 4, 2011 3:27 PM in response to janet260

Those instructions are wrong. If your installations of the software were out of date, all you had to do is download the latest Adobe AIR installer and run it, and download the latest version Picaboo and drag it into the Applications folder, replacing what was already there. That would have saved you 8 hours.

If the software was not out of date, then reinstalling it will almost certainly make no difference at all.

moving items to the trash is taking 8 hours so far; i dropped and dragged picaboo x and adobe and they appear stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.