Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wonder if someone can tell me how to run a Full Virus scan on iMac?

Wonder if someone can tell me how to run a full virus scan on iMac? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 9:13 PM

13 replies

Dec 4, 2011 9:37 PM in response to steve359

Thankyou so much for your speedy response, steve359.

Please bear with me since I am new to iMac.

I suspect there is virus on an attachment of an email sent to me by a Window user. All my incoming emails got duplicated, some even triple. At the same time, I found the response time to put my iMac to "Sleep" takes a lot longer than it used to be. Sometimes I have to click on "sleep" several times to get it performed.

After I restart my iMac, it seems to solve the problem by itself. But I am not too confident if it's fixed and thought that by running a Full Virus Scan might give me a clear picture.

Dec 4, 2011 10:00 PM in response to newapple101

The HTML-based viewer on your iMac is waiting for responses from Google's server. If Google's server is stuck, so is the viewer.

Are all applications on the iMac slowed down, or are you just judging "slow" based on focusing on the internet-viewer? This AppleSupportCommunity sometimes slows to a crawl or defaults to "We are upating discussions" screen. Judging only by the internet viewer, one could conclude my MBP is slowed down by the discussion-forum remote server.

Dec 4, 2011 10:12 PM in response to newapple101

Next time, *before* you enter the Gmail, if you do again with that offending e-mail in your queue ...

Finder > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor

Scroll through the programs/processes in the top part of that window to see if the internet viewer is taking a large chunk of the CPU.

Without more information such as that, it is difficult to assist.

Wonder if someone can tell me how to run a Full Virus scan on iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.