Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes cannot find my library anymore please help

Please help!!

I recently installed a new internal hard drive and my itunes library was installed on an external hard drive and when i rebooted my pc after the new drive was installed my drive letters changed and itunes could no longer locate my library.

I had around 38,000 tracks in the library along with aps etc and i cannot seem to locate or load that library anymore. 😟

I have tried renaming all the drives (internal and external) to the drive letters they were before i put the new drive in but it has made no difference.

System restore doesn't seem to fix it and when itunes opened after the reboot it started adding some tracks but not all.

Please Please Help

itunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 9:05 AM

Search your drives for files of the type *.itl

When you have identified the one that should be your library hold down the shift key and click the icon to start iTunes. Keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. Click choose and browse to the file you found earlier.

If your library was all properly self-contained then "It just works"TM otherwise post back with the details of the path to your media folder and I'll show you how to fix things.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2011 9:05 AM in response to dottysmash

Search your drives for files of the type *.itl

When you have identified the one that should be your library hold down the shift key and click the icon to start iTunes. Keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. Click choose and browse to the file you found earlier.

If your library was all properly self-contained then "It just works"TM otherwise post back with the details of the path to your media folder and I'll show you how to fix things.

tt2

itunes cannot find my library anymore please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.