Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install XP (using bootcamp) on my imac 10.6.8. ?

Can I install windows XP (using bootcamp) on my imac 10.6.8. or is it only possible with windows 7.

I already had windows xp installed on my imac, but I obviously updated since to 10.6.8.

when I deleted this partition, that was running perfectly dispite the updates, to make a bigger partition, it wouldn't work anymore with my windows xp disc.

bootcamp talks about a windows 7 disc, is this because of the update? ( that you now need windows 7)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:46 AM

9 replies

Dec 6, 2011 12:44 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Actually you just need Boot Camp 3.2 version as 3.3 is only for W7 installs. 3.2 is the last Boot Camp update for XP. I don't know what version the Boot Camp Assistant needs to be in in order to use it tho.

I'm guessing the Apple Software Updater on the Mac side updated Boot Camp Assistant to where when it didn't see the XP partition anymore it reverted to the 3.3 parameters and wouldn't let you install XP again?

I don't know how you would down grade to 3.2 in order to install XP again other then maybe deleteing Boot Camp Assistant and then reinstalling Boot Camp Assistant again from your Installer CD. Just don't update on the Apple side until you get XP installed then you can up update Windows first. Then Boot Camp should be able to let you install XP.

You definetely need to find out how to revert back.

Dec 6, 2011 5:43 AM in response to Jaygyver

Jaygyver wrote:

Actually you just need Boot Camp 3.2 version as 3.3 is only for W7 installs. 3.2 is the last Boot Camp update for XP. I don't know what version the Boot Camp Assistant needs to be in in order to use it tho.

I'm guessing the Apple Software Updater on the Mac side updated Boot Camp Assistant to where when it didn't see the XP partition anymore it reverted to the 3.3 parameters and wouldn't let you install XP again?

That doesn't make sense, BCA creates the partition, it doesn't have anything else to do with Windows.

To the OP. Install Windows 7.

Dec 6, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Csound1

"""That doesn't make sense, BCA creates the partition, it doesn't have anything else to do with Windows."""

Where did I say it did?

BCA sets the perameters to start the Windows setup does it not? It looks at what OS it's allowed to start, IF BCA has been updated to use BC 3.3 drivers then it won't allow XP to be installed, right? The same way it won't allow an XP 64bit OS, XP sp1, etc, either in any version.

The OP wanted to know how to use XP not W7 so I tried to tell him his options, telling him he should just run out and spend $!00 or $200 dollars isn't telling him very much is it? He already had XP installed so there's no reason he couldn't do it agian?

But then the OP can just start up from the XP installer disk and install without Boot Camp and just install the Boot Camp drivers after, eh?

Dec 6, 2011 10:11 AM in response to Jaygyver

BCA (Boot Camp Assistant) is a Mac program, it has nothing to do with updating the Boot Camp Drivers which takes place in Windows using Apple Software Update, which is a Windows program.

Once again, after BCA has created the partition it plays no further role in the procedure!

So this statement is wrong, OK?

"I'm guessing the Apple Software Updater on the Mac side updated Boot Camp Assistant to where when it didn't see the XP partition anymore it reverted to the 3.3 parameters and wouldn't let you install XP again?

Dec 6, 2011 1:13 PM in response to Csound1

No not OK, but i'll give you half anyway for semantics.

I can't imagine Apple not updating BC Assistant when they update the Boot Camp drivers on WIndows. Otherwise there wouldn't be a notice to only put in a W7 disk now and no mention of XP when you use BCA in 10.6.8.

To @jaquesH, go ahead and just insert the XP disk and let BCA do it's thing and it will still install. It does take about a 5 minute wait looking at a gray screen for the Windows installer to finally start. My son just did it about a month or so ago an he didn't have any issues.

Have Fun....

Apr 30, 2012 7:47 PM in response to jacquesH

Yes you can. Here is the trick:

1. Insert a Windows 7 DVD into the Superdrive. ( It can be downloaded from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495 or elsewhere and burned to disc.

2. Start Boot Camp Assistant

3. When it comes time to reboot and install "Windows 7" at the part of reboot where the mac makes a "chime" sound, press and hold down option key.

4. Wait a while, then you should see your harddrive and soon a cd with "Windows" will appear.

5. Use the arrows keys only to choose the windows CD then press eject key to release the disc. The Windows 7 disc will eject.

6. Insert the Windows XP with SP3 disk, wait for the cd with "Windows" to reappear then press enter then, install XP like you normally would with Boot Camp.

7. Insert the Snow Leopard disc or Leopard disk after the Windows install is complete to install Boot camp drivers.

8. Run Apple Software Updates under Windows to get the latest released drivers from Apple.

9. Run Windows Updates a few times to get all the latest MS Security Software and Patches atc.

This works under Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion

install XP (using bootcamp) on my imac 10.6.8. ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.