Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping results in poor quality picture

I was trying to crop a picture from my daughter's soccer game. The first thing I did was just to zoom in on the section I wanted to crop to and take a look at it and see if I thought it was going to be a good picture. Then I returned to normal size and clicked Edit and chose the cropping feature and cropped it using a 3x5 constraint. When I did that it removed everything outside the cropping area, of course, and enlarged the picture to the size of the picture area of iPhoto. The problem was that the picture was now pixilated - much more so than when I zoomed in on it at first. When I zoomed in, the quality was still quite good, but after cropping the quality was pretty poor.

So then I decided to export the file from iPhoto. I then opened it in Paint.NET in my Win7 VM under VMWare Fusion. When I cropped it there, there was no noticeable pixelation - it looked just like it had in iPhoto when I used the Zoom feature. Why is the cropping feature so poor in iPhoto? It's hard to imagine I'm doing something wrong - there's not much to it in terms of options. Why would Zoom exhibit no pixelation, yet Crop does?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 3.06 MHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB drive

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:56 AM

What happens if you click on to another photo in iPhoto and then back to the one you cropped?

3 replies

Dec 5, 2011 7:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

I see you've answered this before - back in May. So you get points again. Unfortunately, the system did not bring that up as a possible answer before I posted.

I thought I had moved off that picture and back on to it the other day when I ran into this, but I tried it again and it worked. However, that's really lame. I've used zooming and cropping features in other apps and have not run into this issue. The Mac is supposed to be the machine of choice for artists, designers, etc. and this is what you get in iPhoto? And I move to a Windows program - and not something high-end like Photoshop - and it works just fine?

Cropping results in poor quality picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.