Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme extending network

Hey guys so i have a bit of a situation. I have 2 houses beside each other which we own and want to provide wireless coverage to both. The distance between both brick wall is slightly wider than the width of a car. I have a new time capsule running a dual band network and i have multiple expresses extending the network in the first house. My issue is when i try and pickup the signal in the 2nd house its always too low to boost. What i was thinking is what if i used 2 or 3 extreme's, would my range be better?

I am trying to avoid burrying a cable but i am starting to think that may be the only way.

What do you guys think about possibly trying extreme's in place of a few expresses? As long as i can get the signal into house 2 i will be able to extend from there.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 8:48 AM

1 reply

Dec 5, 2011 9:53 AM in response to dani190

My issue is when i try and pickup the signal in the 2nd house its always too low to boost. What i was thinking is what if i used 2 or 3 extreme's, would my range be better?

Potentially, yes, but there would be no guarentee that it would. The reason is that the extending base station, whether it is an Express or an Extreme, would still have to receive a signal from the AirPort with enough bandwidth to extend in the second house. The extending AirPort would "boost" the signal strength, but not the level of bandwidth (overall speed) that it receives it ... so if the signal has low bandwidth, it can only extend it at this same bandwidth. Make sense?

Typically, this is where network designers would employ directional antennas/transceivers on both wireless access points ... but this option is a tad expensive, sometimes more so than the price of the base station itself.

airport extreme extending network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.