Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iMac have a lithium ion battery?

Hi,

I want to ship my iMac (late 2009) overseas and am not sure whether it has an internal Lithium Ion battery.

Australia Post says it cannot accept any lithium batteries as they are classified as dangerous goods (http://auspost.com.au/personal/dangerous-goods-personal.html) but I'm not sure if the iMac even has one?

thanks for all answers!

iMac, late 2009 model

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 9:46 AM

3 replies

Dec 5, 2011 11:56 AM in response to jaffa999

It certainly has a small battery in it to maintain the system clock and firmware settings when off. But, that could be an alkaline or a Lithium battery - just call Apple and ask for your specific model/year.

And also check the shipping - they sell these things in Australia and they leave the factory with the battery in place! Unless Australia Post does not ship computers at all, otherwise, every laptop, desktop, tablet they've ever handled in the past 5-8 years likely has a lithium battery in it.

And if they won't ship it, just call fedex, ups or some freight company - they will, since they are the ones who fly the product in from Asia for Apple in the first place.

Dec 5, 2011 12:02 PM in response to jaffa999

I believe it has a lithium, not a lithium ion battery. The latter would be found in an iPod or phone and be rechargeable. The Mac's PRAM battery is not. I think it uses a very common coin cell CR2032, or variant of. These things are everywhere and I have no idea why it would be classified as dangerous.

Does the iMac have a lithium ion battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.