Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo file types for iDVD slideshows

What are the pros and cons of using photo files straight from my hard drive vs running them through iPhoto first?

I have the photos in TIFF now (about 20MB each) and can convert them to JPEG in PhotoShop first; or is there a better way through a Mac app? Or are TIFF files just as good as JPEG, i.e., will iDVD or iPhoto take care of the compression? I'm making multiple slideshows from 100s of family fotos.

I have iDVD version 7.1.2 (1158) running on OSX 10.6.8

TIA,

Eric

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 11:59 AM

Hi Eric,

If you search in the forums, there's lots of opinions about how to get the best-looking slideshows. Personally, I regularly use iPhoto or PhotoToMovie, will use iMovie for more complex projects, and never use iDVD. Depending on the route you take, you'll need to adapt to their needs for file formats and what size works best. Be sure to include the original photos in the DVD-ROM section of the disk so your relatives can print photos or otherwise use the photos in their full glory, if they desire.

John

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2011 11:59 AM in response to ActiveCanvas

Hi Eric,

If you search in the forums, there's lots of opinions about how to get the best-looking slideshows. Personally, I regularly use iPhoto or PhotoToMovie, will use iMovie for more complex projects, and never use iDVD. Depending on the route you take, you'll need to adapt to their needs for file formats and what size works best. Be sure to include the original photos in the DVD-ROM section of the disk so your relatives can print photos or otherwise use the photos in their full glory, if they desire.

John

photo file types for iDVD slideshows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.