Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3, RAW vs JPEG. I give up...

Hi All,

I am not a professional photographer, but an enthusiast. I have been trying to understand why a raw file and a JPEG would create such a different result in Aperture. Below is an example of a random shot that I just took, RAW on the right, JPEG on the left. The JPEG version is exactly how I expected it to look, but the RAW has this weird yellowy/green pale theme to it (frankly the kid looks kinda ill) and you can see the worse definition on the flowers in the background. I use a 5D MARKII and I am running Aperture 3.2.1.

User uploaded file

I know the difference is not that huge, but it has been bugging me for a long time now. I prefer to shoot in RAW, but for the moment that just means I never the image that I want, so I shoot in JPEG+RAW. Any ideas on how to manage this?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 11:15 AM

You're screen shots didn't make it into the post.

But to answer you question the reason the images appear different is because they are different. The JPG had the camera settings applied to it in the camera, the RAW is the image as it was, the camera settings have no affect on it.

Think of an extreme example, shooting an image with the camera set to Black & White. The JPG will be B&W while the RAW image will appear in color in Aperture. Why? Because a RAW image contains all the information in the image without being modified by the camera settings.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2011 11:15 AM in response to PashaT

You're screen shots didn't make it into the post.

But to answer you question the reason the images appear different is because they are different. The JPG had the camera settings applied to it in the camera, the RAW is the image as it was, the camera settings have no affect on it.

Think of an extreme example, shooting an image with the camera set to Black & White. The JPG will be B&W while the RAW image will appear in color in Aperture. Why? Because a RAW image contains all the information in the image without being modified by the camera settings.

Dec 5, 2011 11:25 AM in response to PashaT

Don't give up -- learn.

(I can't see your screenshot -- maybe repost?)

When you save and import RAW+JPEG you are saving and imported two separate files, a RAW file and a JPEG file. RAW describes a family of proprietary _sensor data_ file formats. JPEG is a standard _image_ file format. (You can't see a RAW file; it must be converted to an image file in order to be displayed.) When you import RAW+JPEG you get two Versions: one is converted by Aperture and has no additional adjustments; the other is converted by the computer in your camera and will have "baked into" it whatever JPG settings you had set when the exposure was made, and whatever adjustments the camera manufacturer has built into its RAW-to-JPG converter, including sharpening and (likely) contrast and other luminance adjustments. Additionally, the JPG file is going to have an 8-bit color depth, while the RAW file most likely has more bits-per-pixel.

It is common for the two files to be different.

The first thing to confirm is that Aperture is up-to-date, and is using the correct converter for your camera's RAW format. On the Adjustments tab of the Inspector, what camera is listed on the RAW Fine Tuning Brick? If you click the "Reset Adjustments" icon (arrow curving up and left), do the set parameters change?

Dec 5, 2011 7:49 PM in response to PashaT

PashaT wrote:

Kirby in my Adjustments/RAW Fine Tuning options it just says "Apple - default camera" should this be different?

It may have said that, but in the screen shot you posted it lists your camera:

User uploaded file

The RAW is more green. I suspect it is also more "correct". What were the JPG settings under which the image was taken?

RAW gives you the ability to set the WB after the exposure is made. Have you tried lifting the JPG WB and stamping the converted-from-RAW-by-Aperture Version? You might also try some RAW+JPG captures with a gray card in order to explore the difference between the in-camera converter and Aperture's conversion. Of course you should zero-out any in-camera settings.

You might also start a new topic to see if anyone who uses a Canon EOS 5D Mark II has any light -- of any hue -- to shed on the subject.

Aperture 3, RAW vs JPEG. I give up...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.