Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to throw away my MBP because Aperture expects more hardware ? . . . ?

Six years ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and fell in love . . It's still a great machine and works fine . . BUT . . aperture 3 runs like a snail . After buying a Canon 5D Mk 2 with 21 gig files . . It's even worse . . What do I do? Downgrade software . . Throw away my laptop . And buy a PC . . .? Is it green to throw away a great laptop?

Mac Book Pro 17 inch ethernet connected Time Capsule, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Mac Book Pro 17 inch

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 1:30 PM

5 replies

Dec 5, 2011 2:14 PM in response to JohnTweddell

John,

I'm not sure if you're just complaining or if you're looking for some advice. You're not going to change a basic tenet of computer software and hardware by buying a PC. You will merely be buying a PC that has more power than your current Mac. It's like buying a new pair of shoes and complaining that the old pair, which you've had for 6 years, are just not comfortable and you'll never buy a pair of those again. Most likely, they were great 6 years ago -- otherwise you would not have worn them for 6 years.

As for your new Canon, I assume your old camera did not produce 21GB files. Let's say you came from 10 GB RAW files. Any software and hardware will take more time (about 100% more time) to process 20 GB than to process 10 GB. There's no way around it.

Do you have any specific questions that someone might be able to help you with?

nathan

Dec 6, 2011 1:49 AM in response to JohnTweddell

If your camera creates 21GB raw files you're doing something extremely wrong. I think you mean megabytes...

Now that I've got that minor detail out of the road, for any laptop to last 6 years is impressive, so I'm not sure why you're complaining that it's finally met its match.

As for your question, the inability of a computer to efficiently and effectively run the software it needs to is when it stops being a great computer.

As for what you end up buying to replace it, that's your decision. If you believe you can get 6 years from a PC, go for it.

Dec 6, 2011 4:36 AM in response to Mr Endo

Take your ponits - I will go for a Apple when I can afford it, Issue is my pension and lack of spending power .. Its a shame it seems to have slowed down so much. I am sure its part camera foile size - but issue is a lot worse in last few weeks (since the update). Dont mean to moan, but it is really slow.

Assume other than running only one app, there is not much I can do.

Why do I have to throw away my MBP because Aperture expects more hardware ? . . . ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.