Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 update from IOS5 to 5.1 failed and now phone stuck in recover mode

Hi all

The girlfriend dropped her Iphone4 today and broke the rear cover

I called the phone insurance and they are replacing it tomorrow. so i needed to backup her phone and get it ready to be replaced

The phone was running IOS5 with no probs. i had no trouble updating it on the original release date either

So Itunes told me there was a new update . 5.1 . i transfered purchases and backed the phone up and set it to download the new update.. i came back to find an error message :Restore error 1602

Now the phone is stuck with a picture of the usb lead and that i should connect to i tunes

The (Win7) pc no longer recognises the phone either ..

I searched lots of forums and tried lots of diferent way to restart the phone . none work .

Things like : turning off iphone with top power button and home button then holding home and plugging in lead, restarting PC (numerous times) checking services to ensure the mobile device is switched on, restarted that and restarted the PC .. again .

After searching high and far on the Net i only seem to get lotsof people having this type of problem ..... but only around the time of the original IOS5 release and heavy load on servers etc. surely this has nothing to do with this problem ?

Nothing about 5.1 version issues at all

No matter what i do i cant get any joy with the phone .

So i tried my Iphone4 .. and it gets recognised no problem so know Itunes and the USB connection is working OK

Ok so you may say leave it and get the new phone, all will be good . Well i want to make sure her contacts and emails etc are still there before we send this one back . she uses the phone for Business and has lots of important stuff on it she cannot afford to lose so i really need to check before it goes tomorrow

I did a youtube vid on my phone of what happens .. or not . click this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH524W0-xeo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any suggestions would help me keep what little hair i have

Thanks

Steve

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 3:44 PM

4 replies

Dec 5, 2011 5:42 PM in response to Steve from uk

Ok Quick update

I have tried to put the phone into DFU and although the screen goes blank i never get any messages on the Itunes screen

So i tried to make a new user account on the PC and opened a fresh itunes. connected the phone and put it into DFU but still no message

I also tried pressing the home button while connecting the phone too but this does not work

Its getting late here 1:41am and i need to go to bed so i can get up for work in the morning

Any help would be appreciated

Steve

Mar 8, 2012 5:43 PM in response to Steve from uk

I just had a very similiar experience with my iPhone 4 when updating from iOS 5 to 5.1. I had started the update before eating, and when I had returned, I had a notification that the update had failed. I don't remember the error code, but my phone told me to sync to iTunes yet my computer nor iTunes would detect it. I tried restarting it, and I tried booting it up DFU mode, but to no effect. After I stepped out for 10 minutes to cool off, I came back in and switched which USB port I was plugging into, and wha-lah, it worked. I still had to restore and update all over again, but at least it was responsive again. Funny thing is, the USB port that I had tried first still works, as I'm using it with my keyboard right now. Hope this helps!

Iphone 4 update from IOS5 to 5.1 failed and now phone stuck in recover mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.