Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Logs Out instead of Shutting Down

Hi,

This problem has only started to be a common occurance since the 10.7.2 upgrade. Everytime I 'click' shutdown, I can garentee that it will just send me to the login screen instead. 7/10 this will happen.

I can't seem to see anyone else on the web that has this problem. I'm usually quite good at fixing these things myself as i'm a 'tech-enthusiast' you might say, but this ones got me stumpt.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 i7 16gb

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 6:18 PM

12 replies

Mar 1, 2012 9:44 AM in response to MysteriousKiw

I've not had a problem with it now. I mean, its all updated to 10.7.3, since then I've reinstalled Lion from a clean install and also installed an SSD.

From what I've found it could have just been a glitch with 10.7.2 or even just the way the OS came pre-installed.

I'm not sure what has, presumably, fixed the problem. Unfortunately I cannot pass on "the fix" as, mentioned, I really don't know the answer.

Things you could try;

- Slow down when clicking "Shutdown..." option (sometimes I may have only miss-clicked).

- Try creating another account to see if that one has the same problem.

- Update to the latest OS revision, But if all else fails;

- Re-installing the OS on a fresh install (wipe the install drive and start from scratch).

Sorry there is no definitive answer, but this problem seemed to just have 'faded' away.

Thanks, and i hope this can shed some light on the matter. šŸ™‚

Mar 1, 2012 3:05 PM in response to MysteriousKiw

Hmm, firstly, thanks for your care.

I have 10.7.3 and the Lion was already preinstaled on this macbook. I think it's some process running in the background which stops the computer from shutting down, but I wasn't fast enough to read the message poping up right before the logout. I am lazy to start from scratch šŸ™‚ When I found the reason I will leave here a message.

Thanks

Jul 14, 2012 12:20 PM in response to MysteriousKiw

I was having the same problem. In my case the problem was caused by a program I downloaded from the App Store called CPULed. I went to the applications folder and moved it to the trash. This solved the problem for me.

If you don't have CPULed installed, then I would suggest looking for some other 3rd party app, especially one that uses the status bar (or menu bar or whatever it's called) on the top of the screen.

Sep 11, 2012 5:24 AM in response to MysteriousKiw

This worked for me, it belongs to a guy named Dan Loewenherz

Solved: iMac Logsout instead of Shutting Down

My 27ā€ iMac from late last year started having an issue where it would restart instead of shutting down. Clicking shutdown from the log in screen didnā€™t pose any issuesā€”that worked as expected.

After perusing forums, collecting data, and trying out almost every fix imaginable, Iā€™ve found a solution. The issue lies in the

com.apple.Boot.plist
and
com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
files in the
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
directory.
Boot.plist
is the ā€œconfiguration plist for the Mac OS X booterā€ and
PowerManagement.plist
stores ā€œpower management settingsā€.

Whether it was from downgrading from Lion to SL, or something else, for some reason these plist files got corrupted. The best way to solve the issue is to remove those files. By deleting these files, OS X will fall back to default boot and power management settings.

Iā€™d recommend strongly that you backup to Time Machine before doing this. That said, this solution worked fine for me. Iā€™m on Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

Read more about power management settings and Boot.plist here and here.

Lion Logs Out instead of Shutting Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.