Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off Spaces

I use Nisus Writer Pro quite a bit and under Lion find that its splash screen hangs in the middle of the desktop. When I queried them about this glitch, they said it was a phenomenon seen by those who have Spaces activated. I don't use Spaces, never have, never will. But in going to the System Preferences, I notice also that there's no longer an Expose & Spaces category to select in order even to check and see if Spaces is turned on. Suddenly I wonder does Spaces even still exist? Or has it been rebranded as something else I need to turn off?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 15" (2009)

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:41 PM

Or has it been rebranded as something else I need to turn off?

Mission Control. (not sure if it can be turned off)

7 replies

Dec 5, 2011 7:44 PM in response to Gregory Frost

both the things you have mentioned have been given a face lift and rebranded as Mission Control. I choose to ignore it completely, however I digress.

Lion has a new way of doing spaces in where they act as a full screen application similar to iOS.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/mission-control.html

for your issue you may want to do a couple of things.

if you go to system preferences, trackpad, more gestures, turn off swipe between fullscreen apps.

then, still in SP, go to show all and then go to Mission Control. turn off Show Dashboard as a space. This gets rid of dashboard as a space.

For good measure uncheck all the rest of the options below the one mentioned.

now you are not using spaces. see if that helps. if not, report back to the software company about how you are using lion. they may need to update their software.

give feedback to apple too http://www.apple.com/feedback/macos

Turning off Spaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.