Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to start with MySQL

Hi Everyone,

I am only just getting started with MySQL as I think this is the program I need to have usernames and passwords to an intranet I'm attempting to setup.

I have a few questions starting off with:

How do I configure MySQL? I have gone into 'Server Admin', added a new service (that being MySQL) and turned the service on. How do I configure it so that it will interact with my site. I have noticed on one of the other forms it says you need to dowload some headers or something MySQL Headers.

How to I make a database on the MySQL service?

Could someone please talk me through this.

Thanks,

khkewsupport

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 1:39 AM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2011 9:26 AM in response to khkewsupport

This is not a trivial request. Since MySQL can handle some pretty heavy duty database tasks, there are a series of steps you need to go through, even for a simple username/password database.

Start off with the MySQL Getting Started Guide Some of it doesn't apply (such as getting and installing), but it will walk you though connecting to MySQL, creating a database and setting up basic permissions.

Dec 6, 2011 11:02 AM in response to khkewsupport

You'll want to narrow down the question, and will also want to provide a little more detail.

What specific task(s) are you looking to perform?

Can you provide some background on why you're performing the particular task(s)?

MySQL is a common database, though it's been removed from Mac OS X Server 10.7 Lion Server and replaced with PostgreSQL. (You can download and install MySQL onto 10.7 yourself, if you have a requirement for that database.) You may want to stay with a database that Apple will upgrade for you, for instance, rather than one you'll have to download and maintain seperately.

The command-level operations for MySQL are consistent across most installations, so descriptions around creating a database, backing it up, and related tasks are the same. The MySQL documentation is a common starting place for learning about the product, and web content management systems (CMSs) often document the specific command-level operations for each particular CMS package.

As a higher-level GUI interface into MySQL databases on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server, see the Sequel Pro tool. It's free, and (even better) it's good.

If you're going to be writing programs that store data in it, that leads to additional complexities. (Objective C is built on C, and there are Cocoa frameworks and C native interfaces for most anything around. Other languages will usually have their own frameworks for accessing databases including MySQL, such as php and Python.)

As for your task of storing usernames and passwords on an intranet, that task can involve LDAP or other distributed databases. (This is why I ask for background, above. There can be many reasons for a particular task, and there may be different and variously better alternatives to a particular solution.) If you're looking to perform single-sign-on or related tasks, it's far more common to use LDAP and Kerberos than to roll your own. And tools such as the Apache web server can authenticate against users LDAP, if that's required. (Mac OS X Server includes an LDAP server and Kerberos, and Mac OS X clients can authenticate to this. See the Mac OS X Server Open DIrectory (OD) documentation for related details.)

Dec 17, 2011 5:48 PM in response to khkewsupport

Ok, so I've been able to use a piece of software called MAMP to configure my database. I'm using dreamweaver to build the site. I connected to the MAMP phpmyadmin (MySQL) database and configured the site to have user authentication. I then uploaded the site the the Mac Server and the php pages wouldn't load. I turned the MySQL Service on and the pages loaded but the user authentiacation on the site wouldn't work.

Does anyone know how to export the MySQL database from MAMP phpmyadmin and import it to the mac server mysql service?

Thanks

khkewsupport

How to start with MySQL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.