Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In System Preferences->Sharing->Remote Management the address doesn't reflect the computer name.

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with two seperate hard drives, Lion and Snow Leopard. One drive has a name of mac-pro2 for Lion and mac-pro2sl for Snow Leopard. Something happened when I rebooted from Snow Leopard to Lion that in System Preferences->Sharing->Remote Management that the computer name had changed to the Snow Leopard computer name it has a address and name of mac-pro2sl. I have change the Computer Name: and it worked and was changed to mac-pro2 but Remote Management still has the address of mac-pro2sl and doesn't reflect the computer name. I can ssh into Lion with mac-pro2sl but I have a conflict with from other computers when I log in with a warning of "Remote Host Identification has Changed". How do you change the computer name for remote management and ssh?

I have changed the hostname and it reflects the change when you login, mac-pro2 for Lion. But when you ssh into Lion it requires mac-pro2sl not mac-pro2.

When I change the computer name it shows below that the name in "Remote Management: On" "computer using the address mac-pro2sl" is selected but then doesn't change but remains the same when the dialog closes. How do you change the address to reflect the computer name? Is there a command line utility?

Thanks for any help.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 7:20 PM

You won't be successful changing the name as long as the old name is being broadcast all over your network.

Disconnect from the network, change the name to the way you want it to be seen, then restart or re-connect to the network.

5 replies

Dec 7, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

When I disconnect from the system the name changes but when I plug it back in the old name comes back. I think it has something to do with the DNS server. It keeps broadcasting the name and so it picks it up again. How would I force that change or is it up to my IT department to make that change? I don't have a static IPAdderess. When I try to renew the address it still comes up to be the same one.

In System Preferences->Sharing->Remote Management the address doesn't reflect the computer name.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.