Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Store US vs. UK — song quantity, selection, and iTunes Match

Does the UK iTunes Store have the same songs as the US Store? I mean this in terms of both (1) quantity (e.g. 18 million?); and (2) selection/choice (e.g. both have US releases and UK ones?).

Since it's all Anglo-American music nowadays anyway, shouldn't there be the same exact songs available in the US as the UK?

I have quite a lot of niche music that Americans listen to, and when iTunes Match comes out in the UK, I want to be sure I'll get those matched up. Or should I try to get a US account now if the UK store doesn't have everything...?

On that note, could there be any songs that are in the UK Store but aren't in the US Store?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.4GHz Core i7, SSD, Hi-Res Glossy

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 3:54 PM

I don't have any numbers or comparisons, but what's in the stores and Match (have they even started Match in the UK yet?) will depend upon licensing by the distributors. A distributor could say one thing in one country and something else in another. It isn't culturally based. 🙂

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2011 3:54 PM in response to Rudolfensis

I don't have any numbers or comparisons, but what's in the stores and Match (have they even started Match in the UK yet?) will depend upon licensing by the distributors. A distributor could say one thing in one country and something else in another. It isn't culturally based. 🙂

Dec 6, 2011 4:06 PM in response to Rudolfensis

Rudolfensis wrote:

Does the UK iTunes Store have the same songs as the US Store? I mean this in terms of both (1) quantity (e.g. 18 million?); and (2) selection/choice (e.g. both have US releases and UK ones

No.

Since it's all Anglo-American music nowadays anyway, shouldn't there be the same exact songs available in the US as the UK?

Should it? One would think so.

However, licensing & copyright issues are the main reason countries have different selections.

Dec 6, 2011 4:14 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks!

Are there any notable and publicized exclusions from the UK store?

So US has 18 million, or is that the global figure (including obscure German and Japanese artists)?

How many could we expect the US and UK stores to have? In other words, what difference could there be in terms of percent... and I understand there's not data on this. So just ball-part guestimates will be fine.

In essence, should I wait for iTunes Match to come out in the UK... or should I not bother as it will be inferior and should I get the US one?

In the future, I wonder if I could get the best of both worlds, get iTunes UK to match up everything, and then take that same stuff and shove it into the US one...

Dec 7, 2011 3:39 PM in response to Rudolfensis

The iTunes Store does not make it easy to determine the number of songs for sale. However, at Amazon MP3 you can get the counts, and here they are as of today:

Amazon MP3 USA 18,152,637

Amazon MP3 UK 19,488,214

I would guess that the two countries' iTunes Stores have similar numbers.

There are iTunes Stores for over 100 countries, butless than a quarter of those sell songs. For reasons Chris and Limnos mentioned, the selection of songs is different in each.

Dec 7, 2011 4:08 PM in response to Rudolfensis

In the future, I wonder if I could get the best of both worlds: get iTunes UK to match up everything they have, and then take that same stuff and shove it into the US one...?

Rudolfensis,

Interesting idea. It would, however, take more than a "shove," since you can only use any country's iTunes Store if you are physically in that country and have billing credentials in that country.

Dec 7, 2011 4:31 PM in response to Rudolfensis

You have to be in the US to access the US store?

For browsing, no, but for purchases, yes. Here is the official word from the iTunes Store USA Terms and Conditions:

"The iTunes Service is available to you only in the United States, its territories, and possessions. You agree not to use or attempt to use the iTunes Service from outside these locations. Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance."

Of course, these restrictions only apply at the time you make a purchase. Once you have the song, you can use it anwhere.

iTunes Store US vs. UK — song quantity, selection, and iTunes Match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.