Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning to Aperture 3

Does Aperture 3 support scanned photos as Photoshop Elements does?

iMac 3.06GHz Intel Duo Core, 24, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Epson R1900 Printer, 2 AP Express,Epson 4180 Scanner, iPhone 3GS

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 5:25 PM

Not directly, you will need to scan to a file then import the file.

6 replies

Dec 6, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

That's true it is possible to have the scanner software have Aperture import the scanned file after the scanner has scanned in the image. Basically a hotfolder import.

One drawback to this method of importing (at least for me) is that the import panel is bypassed so the functions I normally run when I import from a camera (backups, metadata addition, AppleScript) don't get run. Not a deal breaker if I'm scanning in one or two images, but if it's much more then that I'd rather save the files and import them the normal way.`

So it is possible to go from scaner to Aperture without intervening, but unfortunately Aperture still doesn't support direct scanning.

Dec 6, 2011 8:31 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

That's true it is possible to have the scanner software have Aperture import the scanned file after the scanner has scanned in the image. Basically a hotfolder import.

One drawback to this method of importing (at least for me) is that the import panel is bypassed so the functions I normally run when I import from a camera (backups, metadata addition, AppleScript) don't get run. Not a deal breaker if I'm scanning in one or two images, but if it's much more then that I'd rather save the files and import them the normal way.`

So it is possible to go from scaner to Aperture without intervening, but unfortunately Aperture still doesn't support direct scanning.

All true -- and also true for my semi-tethered studio shoots (my camera is not supported by Aperture for tethering; I use a Finder Folder Action set to an Automator Whatchamacallit that makes Aperture import). I just run a batch operation (for me: rename {including Masters}, add standard metadata) after scanning or shooting tethered. The advantage I get is I can see all of the scanned Images at once, and can work on them in Aperture and decide to rescan, and so on.

Dec 7, 2011 10:36 AM in response to Armand Thomas

Well its not all bad. As Kirby wrote you can batch change after import. Also scanning to a Folder and then importing that folder isn't the worst thing.

Basicaly what I'm saying is I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker as far as Aperture is concerned. The application has so much going for it that this one glitch shouldn't be the thing that determines if you decide to use Aperture.

Looking at the total amount of time you are using the program, import is a tiny fraction of that time. The rest of the time you get to use the rest of Aperture which is really very nice.

regards

Scanning to Aperture 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.