Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life att

I have a 4s and the battery life is horrible. I bought the 4s from apple directly (AT&T is the carrier). Any solutions anyone?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 4:41 PM

13 replies

Dec 6, 2011 5:23 PM in response to vsfromca

Hmm, I answered this 3 other threads today. So now I'll point you to some of the discussions on the subject:

First, the ones specifically for iOS 5.x:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391947?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3484755?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3481668?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3518760?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2755090?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3507356?tstart=30

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3482083?tstart=60

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3492588?tstart=60

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3397244?tstart=90

Then there's the historical issue:

Battery Meter/Life Problems with 4.0.2

4.0.2 guzzling my battery. Your's too?

4.0.1 battery life

Battery runs out very quicky in iOS 4.0.1

Battery nearly nonexistant after 4.0 upgrade

Dead battery after few hours on standby using 4.0 software

3.1.3 battery problem

OS 3.1.3 battery issues

3.1.3 upgrade - shortened battery life?

Battery life cut after 3.1.3 update on iPhone 3G

3.1.3 Firmware is a battery killer - how do I back out this upgrade?

Poor battery life with iPhone 3G running 3.1.2

3.1.2 EXTREME battery drain - what gives?

3.1 Battery nightmare

iPhone 3GS with fw 3.1 – battery life gets even worse

Battery Issues with 3.0.1

BATTERY drain with 3.0

upgrade to 3.0 drains my battery

Battery Drain after Update 2.2.1

Battery Life Radically Decreased after 2.2.1 Firmware Update

Dec 7, 2011 7:41 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

Thank you for the excellent response to the iPhone "Battery Drain" problem.

Also I would like to personally thank you for documenting a fact that I have stated that seems to fall on deaf ears on this Apple forum that this "Battery Drain" glitch is absolutely nothing new or peculiar to the iPhone 4S and/or iOS 5.0.1.

I have mentioned that this problem goes as far back as the 3G, but was not as organized as you nor did I care to invest the time to re-acquire all the links that you have provided. Without the documentation that you provided I never received one comment regarding my claim that this is an ongoing long time problem. I have now saved the links you were so kind to provide and will never fail to plagiarize them to make my argument in the future. I will also make a point to give you credit for this invaluable information.

The one thing that does amaze me about this problem is the fact that it does seem to re-appear on every new iPhone model, sometimes out of the box but as my memory serves me mostly after an iOS update. I am just not sure how Apple keeps missing this problem.

I have been able (Thank God because Apple had nothing to do with any of the solutions that I have read about or used) I have resolve this problem on my phones by either the "DFU restore as new" and/or "delete e-mail accounts and manually re-install". One thing additional that I have done with my phones is abandon as in turn off/delete "Mobile Me" and now "iCloud". I don't know if that is necessary but with such a small battery live continuous sync just doesn't strike me as realistic, besides I prefer to sync with my "M$ Outlook" Everything else is "ON" Push, Location service, Partridge in a Pear Tree, etc. And I get great battery life. A bit less with the iPhone 4S but between the higher power CPU, Siri and the fact that in all my earlier phones I turned off 3G, something that can't be done on the 4S I expect a little less battery life (nothing I wouldn't expect and certainly nothing that rubs me wrong even with my OCD fully active).

I will say that Apple did contact me when my 3GS was having this problem and ask me and others to run a logging utility, returning the log files to them for analysis. BUT - that was the last I ever heard from Apple - Go Figure. So when I hear people say they are waiting for Apple to come out with a fix I strongly suggest they try some to the fixes that worked in the links you were so kind to provide because the wait for an Apple fix may be a long time out and some of these folks are experiencing 6 to 8 hour battery life (or less even while the phone is sitting idle) and I can almost guarantee that will damage an L-ion Polymer battery in short order.

OK - I'll stop, this has turned into more of a rant than a "Thank You".

Dec 21, 2011 6:28 AM in response to HolmanGT

Complained to Apple Support (advisor) and went to store (Genius bar) and discussed the issues. Apple Store replaced the battery and the battery life has improved. It's by no means equal to what is advertised (I think some smart lawyer can iniitate class action on this) but it is better. No usage over 2 days with most services on left me with about 65% life over a 40 hour period. That implies over 120 hour period my cell phone would be dead ... not even close to the upto 200 hours claim.

Dec 26, 2011 3:50 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I bought my iPhone 4S (5.0.1 installed) couple of days and didnt set it up as a new phone but did a iTunes restore from my previous iPhone 4. I wasnt happy with the battery life, I kept an eye and did 2 full recharges and with my usage, I got more than 1 day and something on Standby and around 5 to 6 hrs of actual phone usage till the last 1%. On iPhone 4, it give me more than 8 hrs our usage.

Right now, I've just set up my 4S as a new phone, lets see and hope this works.

Will keep you updated.

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2011 7:11 AM in response to davidfrombj

David,

Glad the Mophie is working out for you. I used a "Mili Power Pack" on my 3S and you are spot on - end of battery life issues.

HOWEVER - there is, apparently, several different bugs that cause excessive battery drain. Some scenarios are extreme i.e. complete battery drain with very little use 1 - 2 hours with about 4 to 6 hours of idle time.

If one has the failure mode that I have paraphrased, here, adding a battery pack my just mask a disasterous battery problem.

If you can get your phone working as well as "MacJaimin" or "Lawrence" suggest then it is reasonable to assume the calamitous battery issue(s) have been addressed and a Mophie sounds like a great answer for heavy users.

"Just saying" !!!

Dec 27, 2011 7:43 AM in response to MacJaimin

Macjaimin,

Please keep us posted, if you get up to 7-8 hours of usage in addition to your idle time... I'll sure be impressed.

The numbers you are quoting at the momement are about what I get after a "Restore as new" maybe a little more but I hardly ever let my phone go below 30% on charge level. I just never feel comfortable going out with a 30% or less charge level.

Anyway glad to here you have yours working pretty darn good.

Dec 27, 2011 2:48 PM in response to HolmanGT

Holman, it did give me 7. something by the last 1%, but you have to keep in mind is according to my usage.

Brightness level - medium

Location sevices - only find my phone on

Diagnostic and usage - off(don't send any)

Data service - only turn on 3G when required and there is no wifi

Keyboard and lock sound - off

FaceTime - off

iCloud - with only find my iPhone on

Also I suggest you only charge when you are down and left with under 5%, your battery life extends in long run.

Hope it helps.

Dec 27, 2011 3:14 PM in response to MacJaimin

MacJaimin wrote:

Also I suggest you only charge when you are down and left with under 5%, your battery life extends in long run.

Totally, completely false, and the opposite of what Apple recommends, which is to charge your phone whenever you want to. For a Lithium battery it is actually bad for it to run it all the way down on a regular basis. That shortens its life. What you suggest was good advice for NiCd batteries 10 years ago, not modern lithium batteries.

Dec 27, 2011 3:33 PM in response to MacJaimin

MacJaimin,

Well your are correct about how one uses the phone. My usage setting style is in bold.

Brightness level - medium Mine is about 30% with auto brightness.

Location sevices - only find my phone on Mine is on for most apps.

Diagnostic and usage - off(don't send any) Mine is also off (if Apple wants diagnostics they can buy me a bigger battery).

Data service - only turn on 3G when required and there is no wifi. Mine is always on also Bluetooth is always on.

Keyboard and lock sound - off Mine is always on.

FaceTime - off Mine is off also.

iCloud - with only find my iPhone on. iCloud on my phone is off, account deleted. I sync to iTunes and Outlook.

Also I suggest you only charge when you are down and left with under 5%, your battery life extends in long run. I usually recharge around 30 to 40% just depends on what is convenient at the time.

I can live with the 24-36 hours of standby and 4 to 5 hours of usage. Actually that is about what I used to get with my iPhone 4.

I am glad you have yours humming and the battery life I am currently getting is within my expectations and is definitively something I can live with. If I ever find myself in a situation that requires more "Battery" I would probably go with a milli-Pack/Juice-Pack or some other supplemental battery case.

Nov 8, 2012 7:57 AM in response to vsfromca

My 4s battery life is terrible. I actually lost a deal hear at work due to the crappy battery life.

I have done everything I've read about via the internet to improve the battery and nothing works really.

It all seems to help for a few percentages but thats it. I promise my next phone will not be an iphone

it will be a phine thta actually makes it throughout the day with usage. Apple should know better!

Battery life att

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.