Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OK, something must be wrong in my DNS, Please help...

So, i have 10.7.2 Server running Mail. I must have something wrong on the DNS because on the server; if i go to Safari and go to http://server.domain.com/webmail it opens and i can send/recieve messages from other domains..

But,
Outside that network if i open Safari and go to http://server.domain.com/webmail it fails. IF i go to http://domain.com/webmail it get to the login page, but when i put in creds, it faisl with IMAP not Loaded...

I am unable to add the account to my Mail app when external to the network. It fails to work.

I figure it's just a simple DNS record i need to add..

The server's name is mini the domain is socialgraphics.com

I think the problem is that the MX record is pointing to mail.socialgraphics.com which is not really the server name, even though it works.

and the A record is pointing to mail.socialgraphics.com which is not it's name.

I jsut change the A record name, and the MX record name, correct?

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), IT Manager for an Ad Agency

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 11:15 AM

Hey Robman. Your DNS Entries are all correct... Externally.

I'm able to connect to your server via mail.socalgraphics.com/webmail and socialgraphics.com/webmail without issue.

Check them on your mail server...

Download the Server Admin Tools for 10.7

In server admin, connect to your server and click the DNS services tab.

Check to make sure that you have the correct MX Records and the correct Machine records.

They should be identical to the records that you have set up with your name server provider. That way wherever you are (inside or outside your network) the addresses you type will work the same.

There's really very few ways to set up DNS correctly, so it's easy to have mistakes. Triple check your settings to be sure.

If you're getting an IMAP error, then the mail server is likely in need of tuning up. You can double check the mail service using the Server Admin tools as well.

-Graham

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2011 11:15 AM in response to Robman

Hey Robman. Your DNS Entries are all correct... Externally.

I'm able to connect to your server via mail.socalgraphics.com/webmail and socialgraphics.com/webmail without issue.

Check them on your mail server...

Download the Server Admin Tools for 10.7

In server admin, connect to your server and click the DNS services tab.

Check to make sure that you have the correct MX Records and the correct Machine records.

They should be identical to the records that you have set up with your name server provider. That way wherever you are (inside or outside your network) the addresses you type will work the same.

There's really very few ways to set up DNS correctly, so it's easy to have mistakes. Triple check your settings to be sure.

If you're getting an IMAP error, then the mail server is likely in need of tuning up. You can double check the mail service using the Server Admin tools as well.

-Graham

OK, something must be wrong in my DNS, Please help...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.