Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsubscribe from commercial email from Apple

I had purchased an iPad about 6 months ago and setup an account using my Yahoo email address. I started receiving marketing spam emails from Apple almost immediately. At the bottom of every email, there is a line that says, "

If you prefer not to receive commercial email from Apple, or if you’ve changed your email address, please click here." with a link to a http://mynews.apple.com address that allows me to change my notification options. I have done this on ever email I have recieved for the past three months. Every time I go to this site, every option is already unchecked, and when I click the Update button, it says, "Your email address and/or subscription preferences have been updated. Please allow up to 10 days for any changes to take effect".

Three months later (and unsubscribing from every email) and I still receive marketing spam. What do I have to do to get Apple to actually remove me from their marketing spam?

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 8:32 PM

10 replies

Dec 6, 2011 11:40 PM in response to hpjchobbes

Well until you figure it out, or even if you never figure it out, if there's something unique in the mail header (from address?) you could create a rule (filter) to treat it as spam.

You are also still under warrantee, so call applecare and try seeing if they can do anything about it.

Another approach...

You should have a signed up for a apple id. If so you can log in to manage the account associated with that apple id and change the "language and contact preferences", "Communication from Apple" checkboxes to not send email (and/..or mail).

1. Go to, https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/

2. Click "Manage your account".

3. Select "Language and Contact Preferences" and in the "Communication from Apple" section check/uncheck the appropriate checkboxes.

May 25, 2012 4:59 PM in response to 28timmy

for everyone:

this is the link that stopped it for me - not sure if anyone has tried it this way, but thought it worth posting (I got this from Apple support):

http://mynews.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Subscriptions.woa?locale=en_us&pagena me=unsubscribeweb

FWIW, when you first set up your Mac and as you're going through the various pages, the option to subscribe is checked by default and I immediately uncheck it (this might help someone if they know about it before setting it up).

May 27, 2012 2:04 PM in response to hpjchobbes

Hi,

I used to keep many of the emails from Apple.

I checked some I still have from 2011 and the address is as you say.

I realised though that the list, if you can call it that, or at least the two options are not the only items that I get emails about.

The oones with this link show the follwoing Headers

Apple <News_Europe@InsideApple.Apple.com>

One amazing iPad. 100,000 apps and counting.

To: Ralph G4 <ralphjohns@xxxxxx>

Return-Path: <n_e_i_bounces@insideapple.apple.com>

Received: from public.mx8gb1.int.opaltelecom.net (62.24.139.126) by mail.svcgb1.int.opaltelecom.net (8.5.124.04) id 4E81830C000A4E66 for ralphjohns@xxxxxxxx; Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:30:09 +0100

Received: from msbadger0502.apple.com ([17.254.6.157]) by public.mx8gb1.int.opaltelecom.net with ESMTP; 27 Sep 2011 15:30:07 +0100

X-Ironport-Av: E=Sophos;i="4.68,449,1312153200"; d="scan'208,217";a="712211070"

Dkim-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; d=insideapple.apple.com; s=insideapple; c=relaxed/simple; q=dns/txt; i=@insideapple.apple.com; t=1317133806; h=From:Subject:Date:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; bh=yMgnuT8WG+APlGphnB3V5fVEBHw=; b=ntd7tvy8ghWvwOr5cu+Ryv6VKOXZzyUqyr0xsO8fdv5hAi32eTuDy3qWieBBFFsM 52/BxLt/zEZGEl0EKqRRVQ==;

Message-Id: <1037293947.16213153.1317133806439.JavaMail.cboxp@dorabay.apple.com>

Mime-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_Part_16213152_32643876.1317133806439"

X-Broadcast-Id: 93549

List-Unsubscribe: <http://mynews.apple.com/subscriptions?........

Edited at this point as it contains a reference number as part of the Unsubscribe Address

The page looks like this if you follow the link:-

User uploaded file
Uploaded with Skitch!

I have just change the Email but on retuning to grab the page in a pic I notice it has not changed.

I get separate emails from the UK iTunes store

Short info on their header

iTunes <itunes_uk@new.itunes.com>

New on iTunes: Yellow Submarine, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II, Snow White and The Huntsman and More

To: Ralph Johns <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx>

Return-Path: <it_uk_ndt_bounces@new.itunes.com>

Now I would have said the two email sources were different (they actually come to two different emails I have)

However the first pic says the iTunes bit is about New on iTunes

And the second Header Quote says @new.iTunes.com (which in my book seems to be the same thing)

Now the email address are different but they are my Original Apple ID that I login here with and the linked to that iCloud email address which to all intents and purposes are the same "Apple ID" (I can in fact login in here and iTunes and iCloud with either email name and I will see the Original Apple ID account info).

I seem to be no nearer in being able to suggest a "Fix" and can now relate to the original issue.

I will keep an eye on the email listed on the Subscription changes and see if the "new" one I put in appears (or shows in new emails.). Obviously that might take the stated ten days.

User uploaded file
10:04 PM Sunday; May 27, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.7.4),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

May 28, 2012 12:15 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

New Info.

Today (28th May) - the day after I changed the email - I got a new email from Apple about the iPhone 4GS focusing on SIRI.

It came to the new email.

This does raise the option of listing an email that you don't use (i.e. I once set up my iChat AIM Screen Name as an email account as well but I don't have it set up in Mail so I don't see what gets sent there).

User uploaded file
8:15 PM Monday; May 28, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.7.4),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Unsubscribe from commercial email from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.