Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any sign of a macbook with a numeric keypad built in as standard?

Is there any sign of a macbook with a numeric keypad built in as standard? It's the only thing that's prevented me from making the switch (and no, I don't want to carry around a full size keyboard with my ultra sleek macbook pro!)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:49 AM

16 replies

Dec 7, 2011 4:35 AM in response to CiaranOC

There has never been any Mac notebook with a separate numeric keypad built in, as that would force the alpha KB to be too small. Prior to the unibody MBPs, Apple notebooks had an "embedded" keypad within the alpha KB that could be activated with a Num Lock key, but that has been dropped. Its functionality can be restored with this nifty software utility:

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

Dec 7, 2011 6:32 AM in response to CiaranOC

"There's an entire business community sector which isnt being serviced."

Then you can be sure Apple has made a conscious decision not to service it, and that there's a sound basis for that decision that may not be apparent to you. Apple hasn't become the second most valuable corporation in the world by overlooking golden opportunities, so I suspect there's evidence that this opportunity isn't as golden as you think it is.

Dec 7, 2011 6:51 AM in response to eww

EWW...... "

Then you can be sure Apple has made a conscious decision not to service it, and that there's a sound basis for that decision that may not be apparent to you. Apple hasn't become the second most valuable corporation in the world by overlooking golden opportunities, so I suspect there's evidence that this opportunity isn't as golden as you think it is."

Yes, right, thanks for that extraordinary insight to apple workings.

Dec 7, 2011 7:20 AM in response to CiaranOC

I re-reread your post and I can't see a number pad fitting on a 17"... maybe a 20". But then that's just silly.

but you don't have to lug around a huge thing, most number pads are really small.

But if it's a deal breaker, it's a deal breaker, you have the right to your opinion. You definitely have the right idea in sending feedback to Apple.

But I usually choose a company based on their customer experience. My computer has all the specs I need to accomplish my goals as would any other PC or Mac. But I've never experienced the sort of top notch customer care I've received with apple from any of the other major suppliers. if a simple number pad is the deal breaker to getting a very nice well thought out machine, then I have to say, you may be missing out on something very minimal.

Like I wouldn't buy a mac until they made secondary click (right click) avalaible on the mouse. Now I have a Magic trackpad with all the gestures I would ever want on it including secardary click (and a couple ways to have it too)! If enough people are in your situation, they'll do the same for you too!

Is there any sign of a macbook with a numeric keypad built in as standard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.