Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are these strange additional .plist files?

I have noticed recently that strange .plist files have been appearing in my Preferences folder.

You can see the odd looking files beneath the proper one. This was a few days ago.

User uploaded file

I deleted the two files and discovered this new one today.

User uploaded file

What are they?

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:07 AM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2011 1:17 AM in response to innocentius

I have no idea what those files are but they don't seem like "Ordinary Preference" files to me.

The first 2 look quite normal:-

com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.FinalCut.plist

But the later ones have weird letters and numbers following them together with being Zero KB. They are also listed as "Documents".

com.apple.FinalCut.plist.L1Z4RJ6

If you click on the OP's screenshots you will see the details clearly.

Dec 8, 2011 3:19 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I have just found the answer whilst searching for an apparently different issue.

There was no sign of those weird .plists in my Lion setup but I did notice that every preference file was duplicated with a "lockfile" so I googled to find out what lockfiles were and the answer also included reference to the files mentioned by Richard.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20093292-263/lockfiles-and-other-plist-file -subtypes-in-os-x- lion/

Apparently they are temporary .plist files which should auto-destruct but in Leopard and SL they can stick around.

Reading that, I looked at the preferences in my Snow Leopard setup and sure enough I spotted some with the random 7 character suffixes.

I'm surprised that I have never noticed these before as they now seem quite obvious.

What are these strange additional .plist files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.