Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Sharing Question

I use Aperture for stills and FCP X for video. When I want to add a still to a project in FCP X I use the photo browser. It appears that only the master is available.

I have Preview Preferences set to share "Always" and the size set to match closely match monitor resoultion of 2560. Quality is 11 if I recall.

I shot video with a flat picture style and the still from that canera are also flat, so they always need some post adjustments. For the stills I like to use Aperture, although the more I use FCP X, the more I like the color correction there.

Is there something I am overlooking, or is that just the way it is?

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:27 AM

13 replies

Dec 7, 2011 12:44 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

MI 1,

1. I don't have multiple choices for the image.

Are you implying you have made a second version from your master, in which your first version is identical to your master within Aperture? If not, you will always just see the one thumbnail (I.e., just one version), as the first version of your master is the one you play with.

2. The crop in the 2 versions isn't there.

So you have two photos in which you applied a crop in Aperture? Have you exited Aperture to see if there is a difference when the library is closed?

nathan

Dec 7, 2011 1:51 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

Ok, I have gone back into Aperture and made some changes. To keep it a little more clear I'll just speak to one single image.

My master is a JPEG, I had created 3 versions of it. I now have just the master and one version. I deleted all of the other versions.

I changed the version name of the master to HDSR11master. The version is still DSC05932- version 4.

I did a preview update for the project. Closed Aperture.

I fired up FCP X and opened the project I was working on. I opened the photo browser and went to the folder and project with the image in question. The image that shows is now HDSR11master. The DSC05932 - version 4 is not visible to me.

So it looks to me that I can only see master previews in the FCP X photo browser. I guess my choices are:

- make my changes to the image again in FCP X

- or export the version to then bring it into the project as an event.

It would be nice if I could just use the photo browser and not have to make another copy of the images that I want to use.

If I am not doing something wrong and this is how it is, I'll be giving some feed back to Apple and request a feature improvement..

Dec 7, 2011 2:05 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

Doesn;t sound like you are doing anything wrong and the media browser (which is what I assuming FCP X uses to get the Aperture images) should show all versions of an image.

You're Aperture terminology is a bit off. In Aperture all you ever see are versions unless you specifically ask to see the master and the media browser isn;t able to access the masters. So in this case you described you have two versions, one that Aperture created when you imported the image and the second one you created via some command (new version from master or duplicate version).

So when you say you changed the version name of thw master it sounds like you renamed the first version that Aperture created.

One thing to try open another iLife program , mail is a good choice. Now create a new message and in the upper right hand comer of the mail message you'll see the icon for the media browser. Open it and look at the Aperture library. Do you see both versions of the image?

Dec 7, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

Thanks for your insight.

I did the test with mail, as you suggested. The results with mail were the same as with FCP X.

"You're Aperture terminology is a bit off." Your too kind, it's my understanding that is a bit off. I have

" create new versions when making adjustments " checked in my preferences. I had thought that, what is in fact the first version, was my master.

I often wondered why I could cycle with the hot key and get master and version on that first image ???

So if I uncheck this box, and only create another version when I want a comparison or some such thing, then my version and the resulting preview, will be the image that I want to use.

If my new understanding is correct..........case closed !

Thank you, thank you, thank you. for setting me straight on this.

Dec 7, 2011 6:30 PM in response to Michigan One Fly

You're recapitulation of your problem got me to thinking. Even though you've found a work around somthing still isn't right because the second version should be in the media browser.

So this statment kicked my brain:

So if I uncheck this box, and only create another version when I want a comparison or some such thing, then my version and the resulting preview, will be the image that I want to use.

The second version wouldn't be in the media browser if it didn't have a preview. So if you select the project icon in the Library tab of the Inspector and then click the gear icon like so:

User uploaded file

Is the Maintain Previews For All Projects checked?

Also in your preferences:

User uploaded file

What is the state of the New projects automatically generate previews checkbox?

Finally to force Aperture to generate a preview for a version right click the version and select Update Preview.

Note when you do this you need to restart the program looking into the Aperture library via the media browser in order to update the media browser. So in this example you would need to restart mail.

Dec 8, 2011 4:56 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

I agree it still isn't right, I should see all of the previews.

I checked the status of the iitems you suggested. The" New Projects Automaticall Generate Previews" has been checked, as has the "Maintain Previews for All Projects".

I forced a preview update. Aperture said the previews were up to date, but I held the option key and told it to update.

Closed Aperture and then opened mail and check the photo browser, no change ?

Time to delete prefereences ???

Thanks again for your help with this.

Dec 8, 2011 10:14 AM in response to Michigan One Fly

I really thought we had got this one, the previews is the only thing that makes sense; why one version would show up in the media browser and the other wouldn't. oh well

Starting with the steps in Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics couldn't hurt. In your last post you said you closed Aperture and opened mail, Mail was actually closed and not just sitting open in the dock correct? Have you rebooted the machine since this started? If not that would be something to try.

Another troubleshooting step would be to make a new empty Aperture library, import an image into it duplicate the version So now you have two versions of the image and try the media browser to see if you see both images. (BTW the media browser will always show the images in the last open library, so if you have multiple libraries only the images from the last opened who will be seen).

If that fails you should make a new user log in as that user run Aperture with a new library import an image do as above and see what happens.

These steps will help track down if the problem is particular to your environment or if it is system wide.

good luck

Dec 8, 2011 10:30 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Update,

I shut down the MBP for the night, this am, same issue.

I did a repair of permissions , and deleted preferences. No change.

I looked with finder and found the image twice. Once on the HD with masters and once on the Final Cut Events Hard Drive. The Final cut version was smaller (matched the preview size) and had instructions. Not sure if the instructions were Aperture or FCP X. I did do a Ken Burns effect in FCP X.

Next I went and worked on a diferent project with a different set of pictures. In this one the pictures are from a different camera and the masters are RAW. I did a create a new version from the master.

Went to mail and both versions show up. So I now know it can be done on my machine. When I get some more time I will poke around somemore and see if I can find a pattern to this issue. I plan to look at JPEG master vs RAW masters and images that are used in FCP X projects and those that are not.

For right now I can live with where I am at with this, although I would like to solve the mystery.

I will report back if I find anything. Thanks for your help, you now have me on the straight and narrow with Aperture masters and versions.

Feb 8, 2012 5:45 AM in response to Michigan One Fly

Not sure if this will help or not but: I was updating a version in Aperture by cropping it. I noted that FCP X was not updated in my media browser and initially thought it was something to do with the preview. I then noted a check mark over my original version that I had duplicated in order to conduct the crop. I realized that the two versions were "stacked". After extracting the new "cropped" version from the stack, it showed up in my FCP X media browser. Just another thing to try.

regards

Ian

Preview Sharing Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.