Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the iPhoto library stored and how can I browse to it in Finder? The "Photos" option is not showing up on the left hand side.

I created an app using Automator to batch resize my photos. When I take photos with my iPhone 4s the resolution is so big I can't upload them to a web site, so I can select all the photos in an event and resize them down. It's too time consuming to open each one in Preview and resize it manually. This little app works perfectly!

Here's the only thing I'd like to change - when the app starts up it asks which photos I want to resize. I'd love it to default to the iPhoto library so I can choose the most recent event. But I can't for the life of me find it! Normally there's a choice on the left hand side that says Photos and in the automator finder window, it's not showing up. I've looked through all the folders I can think of and can't find it.

Help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 10:07 AM

6 replies

Dec 7, 2011 10:23 AM in response to karincarr

You are not using iPhoto properly and are in danger of losing your photos

iPhoto is a SQP database application and there are NO user servicable parts in the database (by default the iPhoto library) It is extremely important that you NEVER make any changes of any sort to the content (or structure) of the iPhoto library

The only safe (and suppoprted) way to resize photo is to select them and export using the various esize options in teh export dialogue and use those resized photos - this is a bathc process and does not involve Preview nor does it involve seperate processing for each photo

LN

Dec 7, 2011 11:00 AM in response to LarryHN

I am not moving or changing the originals. I am simply doing what I would do in Preview (open, tools, change size) but instead of doing it one at a time I'm doing 50 at a time. I'm also making copies so I'm not changing the originals. Apple makes this Automator program and file resizing options are in there, so I'm afraid I disagree that this is not safe or unsupported. But I appreciate your concern. 😀

Exporting is a great option if I only had one photo to do but I'm a Realtor and I took 104 photos at a house yesterday. I can't do them one at a time.

Dec 7, 2011 11:27 AM in response to karincarr

You can batch resize on export from iphoto and make that whole Automator exercise redundant.

Select the pics in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export

In the resulting dialogue you can set the Jpeg Quality (which afffects the file size) and the Size - which sets the dimensions (length by breadth). Export. Job done.

Regards

TD

Where is the iPhoto library stored and how can I browse to it in Finder? The "Photos" option is not showing up on the left hand side.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.