Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help determining the error report from ASD on a Quad G5.

Recently I sold my Quad G5 on eBay in perfect working order. The buyer contacted me and claimed to have random shutdowns. So I offered for the buyer to return said computer to me. Upon firing up the computer, the fans begin to spin until they are at full speed and continue to run at full speed. I played with the computer for a while with no random shut downs.

I have the ASD 2.6.3 so I ran it and it reported errors on the Mass Storage test--not the installed HD's--both of those report no errors.

I tried to do the Thermal Calibration and it just "worked" on CPU 0 for like 30-50 minutes and reported nothing nor did it seem to be moving along so forced shut down.

I have reseated all the RAM--still have the fan issue.

I have reseated all cables that plug in to MLB and all cables leading to HD's and disc drive--still have the fan issue.

I am about to sit down and go about the "reseating of the CPU's" per Apple's recommendation.

I am wondering if any of you can help shed some light on the possible fan issues, the lack of Thermal Calibration running properly and of course--what Mass Storage test on the ASD is referring to (if both HD's come back as PASS, I do not know what other Mass Storage device it could be referring to!)

Thanks in advance to any and all who can help me with this problem.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Quad G5

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 10:03 AM

6 replies

Dec 7, 2011 2:50 PM in response to japamac

Just got done reseating the CPU's--the Thermal Cal worked--however it not says CPU reached max temp--reseat and retest.

Have you ever had any luck reseating them a second time and having it pass?

Also--any idea on the Mass Storage portion of the ASD 2.6.3?

PS--I was so hoping you would chime in--you have helped me with every single issue I have ever had with my Power Macs!

Dec 8, 2011 2:41 AM in response to krp2nte

Have you ever had any luck reseating them a second time and having it pass?

Rather than a simple reseat, it may be necessary to reapply thermal compound.

Max temp reached, however, sounds kinda' scary being LCS and all.....

Also--any idea on the Mass Storage portion of the ASD 2.6.3?

Any drive (flash, optical, rotational, etc.) connected can impact the mass storage portion of the test.

I would only test with the system drive and the optical drive connected.

If nothing but one internal drive and the optical are connected and errors occur, try the internal drive in the other slot and possibly disconnect the optical.

If that still shows errors, it may be picking up on a controller issue.

That, of course, means logic board.......

you have helped me with every single issue I have ever had with my Power Macs!

I hope that we can get through this one with good result! 🙂

Dec 27, 2011 10:17 AM in response to japamac

Ok--so--I reseated the processors a second time with the same result.

I was looking at the manual and it shows that one is to remove 4 screws to remove the processors from the cooling system--however--the little circles that show where the screws should be, there are no screws!

I have found on eBay a couple of auctions that should meet my needs--there is one for two processors without the heatsinks. This would be best as it is the cheapest option. However--If I can not find the screws to remove the processors--I am not sure how I will accomplish the swap.

The second auction is for a complete processor with the cooling system attached. My computer has the second version of the LCS. The auction is for a version 1 setup. Will a V1 LCS and processor set up work in my case or is the logic board also different?

Of course there are a few auctions for the V2 LCS with processors attached but they are way more expensive.

If you could shed some light on this that would be outstanding.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2011 5:01 AM in response to krp2nte

there are no screws!

Did the machine appear to have been disassembled between the time of your selling/shipping it and the time of its return?

Missing screws have been discussed here before, and the absence of screws does lead to problems.

I'm wondering if the processors were swapped while the machine was "away"? 😮 It wouldn't be a first......

Out of curiosity, do you have any LEDs lit up? Of particular interest are 1,2,6 and or 7.

If I can not find the screws to remove the processors--I am not sure how I will accomplish the swap.

You are sure that you are looking at the correct version?

There is a manual to compare to here.

is the logic board also different?

There may be other revisions, but there is only one part number for the Quad logic board. I assume that a Quad is a Quad is a Quad.

they are way more expensive

More highly desired LCS.

I'm sure that you don't care as long as it gets the machine going again.😉

Dec 28, 2011 3:01 PM in response to japamac

I had the sinking feeling that the processors were swapped while it the hands of the "kind" buyer.😟

There don't appear to be any missing screws--At least that I can tell. I can say that on the diagram on the manual to which you link--I just don't see the where these screws are. There do not appear to be missing screws--just no screws to speak of. On page 98 of that manual--I just don't see where these 4 screws are located--very bizarre I know.

There are no LED's lighting up--so everything else checks out fine.

I have ordered the new (used) processors but the seller guarantees functionality so I guess I will give that a go.

I have to wait a few days for them to arrive--in the mean time--I will disassemble again and take a photo of my LCS with the processors attached and perhaps you can help me locate the screws I seem to be missing.

Thanks so much--again!

I need help determining the error report from ASD on a Quad G5.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.