Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original iPad Ghost / Phantom Touching

Please save my iPad (and my sanity),

I have had my iPad since they were released (May 2010 I think) and have used it everyday since then with no problems. Recently I noticed that the touchscreen seemed to operate on its own, by opening apps, typing on screen, scrolling, zooming without any human intervention.

I took it into my local Apple Store who recommended that I Firmware Restore it (hold Home & Sleep buttons for more than 8 seconds) and then try using it.

Did that, and the problem returned.

I took it back into my local Apple Store who decided that it must be a faulty screen and so replaced it with a new iPad.

Took it home and rather than Restore from a previous Backup which may have been corrupted I added my apps, files, data back across. The problem started again on the new iPad.

I took it back to my local Apple Store who decided that it must be firmware related as it couldn't affect two iPads with the same hardware issue. So, in the store we did a Firmware Restore which worked in the store and then I copied across some apps and all seemed fine so I left the store.

Took it back home, copied some more files across and the problem started again.

I am getting seriously frustrated with this now and despite a seemingly large number of online users reporting the same issue there doesn't appear to be a factual / scientfic root cause identified, let alone a fix.

Please help as my last resort is to Firmware Restore the iPad, then wipe my MBP and thn reinstall the O/S and add my files back to see if there is something on my MBP which is corrupted and is causing the issue on my iPad when I sync it over.

Thanks.

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:41 PM

2 replies

Dec 18, 2011 3:08 AM in response to ArmedWithABanjo

Armed,

I didn't see any other replies and this really makes me curious, so I have to ask... What have you changed in your household that could affect a field around your ipad? As you probably know, the the iPad screen is capacitively sensing your hands (when it is working normally) and as it seems to have worked in an environment outside your house (the Apple store) perhaps the environment in your home may be creating the effect (however that field must be particularly strong and even your body may be at risk if that is the cause). The only other factor that I can think of that could be involved here is that it may take time for the effect to manifest itself after leaving the Apple store.

Oh and by the way, if you are in a dry environment and as it could be even dryer in your home, there could be a manner that the screen is charging with a static field that is more prevalent in the dry environments. If this is the case, and the Apple store is more humid, they should keep it overnight and see if it starts working normally again the next day (without them doing anything else to it).

I like your username. Personally, I am armed with a Martin guitar (lots of 'em - and they are all slotheads.

Good luck,

Tom

Dec 20, 2011 1:03 PM in response to slothead tom

SlotHead Tom,

I have a D28 also, but a 5-string Banjo is my main instrument :-)

Interestingly I think I have tracked this down to a couple of root causes. The Apple Store have replaced my iPad four times now and we finally had a breakthrough. My iPad Power Supply unit was faulty which was over-volting the iPad which in turn was screwing up the touchscreen.

So with iPad Power Supply replaced I had no more issues...wait for it... until I took my iPad home in to my office where my BT Infinity Wireless router is installed. I can now with 100% certainty put the iPad near the wireless router and the Ghost / Phantom Touching starts.

Turn off the wireless router and the touching stops immediately. Turn it back on and it starts again.

I have also noticed that when wondering around the house with slippers on, my own static build up is enough to allow me to move my hand or arm near to the iPad screen and get Ghost / Phantom Touching again.

It is fine in the rest of the house, but in the office it starts again.

Now, I have had my iPad since Day 1 without any issues so I suspect that something in the Firmware or IOS has made the iPad more succeptable to wireless interference, either that or the new series of wireless routers designed to work throughout the house are so powerful that they cause interference.

At the moment, its usable, well, outside of the office anyway!

Cheers.

Original iPad Ghost / Phantom Touching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.