You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie disappeared off my dock

My daughter and I are new to Mac computers. She was using iMovie for a few days now and now she tells me she can't find the app on her computer. I am assuming she means on the dock. She did not do anything differently that would have made it disappear. She said the only way to find it is to do a search, and then find it that way. However, when she does this, she is unable to open up the videos that she made. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!!

iMac

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:31 PM

If you drag the icon off the dock, it will disappear in a puff of smoke. This just removes it from the dock.

If it is still installed on your computer, you could find it using the Finder. Navigate to the Applications folder. Click on it to launch.

Another way to find it is to click on the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen. This is called a Spotlight Search. Type in iMovie, and if it is still on your computer, you can start it from there. Once it is running, there should be a temporary icon in the dock, that will stay as long as iMovie is running. You can right-click on this icon and select Keep In Dock, and it will stay there permanently.

If for some reason, the App is no longer in the Applications folder, you can still get it back if you are running Time Machine. There are other ways to get it back as well, but let's stop there for now.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2011 2:31 PM in response to junip1977

If you drag the icon off the dock, it will disappear in a puff of smoke. This just removes it from the dock.

If it is still installed on your computer, you could find it using the Finder. Navigate to the Applications folder. Click on it to launch.

Another way to find it is to click on the magnifying glass at the top right of your screen. This is called a Spotlight Search. Type in iMovie, and if it is still on your computer, you can start it from there. Once it is running, there should be a temporary icon in the dock, that will stay as long as iMovie is running. You can right-click on this icon and select Keep In Dock, and it will stay there permanently.

If for some reason, the App is no longer in the Applications folder, you can still get it back if you are running Time Machine. There are other ways to get it back as well, but let's stop there for now.

Dec 8, 2011 6:39 AM in response to junip1977

If the icon appears to be in the dock, but is not, it may actually be on the Desktop.

The desktop is a folder just like everything else, so you can go to the Finder and see if the iMovie app is in the Desktop folder. If it is, you want to move it to the Applications Folder. Then you can either drag it to the dock from there, or you can launch it and it should appear over at the right side of the dock. You can right click on it and select Keep in Dock.

Dec 8, 2011 4:32 PM in response to junip1977

That did not work for me. When I right click on the icon it gets me nothing, all it does is open the app. I see it on my desktop in finder, but it won't let me drag it to my applications, however it is also in my applications. It is now on my dock but now it is under the documents icon, I can't seem to bring it to it's own spot and to the front. This is very frustrating. Any other ideas?

Dec 8, 2011 5:17 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Ok, I got the right button on the mouse activated...thank you for that! I also figured out that my iMovie icon on the dock was "stacked" into my documents icon on the Dock. I managed to remove all these, however, I am still unable to keep the iMovie icon on my dock. When I right click, I don't get that as an option. I have also tried moving the file from my applications to the dock and this does not work as well.

iMovie disappeared off my dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.