Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine disk password rejected

I set up Time machine to backup my Mac on an external 3rd party hard drive and chose to encrypt it by using a password that I wrote down on the Mac itself (in a specific app). I regularly connect the drive to make a backup and it all works, except for the request, sometime, of the disk password. The first time I used that encrypted disk I had to enter the password that I wrote down before and confirmed the Mac to save it in the Keychain. Now, sometimes when the disk is connected, a dialog box appears asking me the "password to unlock the disk". I entered the same password everytime but didn't work (the dialog shakes), even though both the backup feature and the navigation (I mean accessing files and folders on the encrypted disk) work well.

I tried with different passwords and with capital letters but no success at all.

User uploaded file

What should I do? Shall I ignore the request or may I have to fear that only the current Mac will be able to read the backup? Which by the way doesn't make a big sense!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:58 PM

10 replies

Dec 27, 2011 1:29 AM in response to siddharthshah

Actually I thought that someone here would have replied to my question, so I guess the 100+ users may have read the topic cannot say anything about.

I sent a feedback to Apple about this issue, though it doesn't mean immediate assistance: they may see whether there's a bug and to fix it with an update, but it will require time. I currently do not fear the time, unless my computer âš  breaksdown, as the Mac itself recognizes it and backs up my stuff in there.

Oct 15, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Streeme

I'm having the same problem. It seems that the computer recognizes the drives and works perfectly until I power down the iMac and turn it on again. If I do a restart from the menu the drives work fine, but if I power down the computer and restart it, then it won't recognize the password (that was working before) for the encrypted drive.

Sep 14, 2013 10:27 AM in response to Streeme

I have the same problem. Now a year later than these posts. In my case, it really is a problem because I need to restore my computer to a previous state. And for that I need to be able to access the external disk my backups are saved on. My mac can get into that disk. And the keychain says the password is what I thought it was. But when I try to do it myself during the recovery process I get the shaking dialog.

Time machine disk password rejected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.