Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have the red X. i've toggled on and off, i've carefully pressed menu and select till the apple appears then released and carefully pressed select and play. i still get the red x of death. what to do?

I have the RED X (and lots of clicking) on my 120 gb ipod classic. i've toggled on and off, carefully pressed menu and select till the apple appears. then i've pressed select and play, hoping to get to disk mode to reset. NOPE. it all comes back to the red x. ipod had been plugged into pioneer car system that was also not responding. car system works now. ipod>no. help!

iPod classic, iOS 5.0.1, doesnt show up in itunes

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 4:25 PM

1 reply

Dec 14, 2011 1:36 AM in response to slaschk

Your iPod hardisk is kaput! or dying.

Since you have done the 5Rs, there is nothing much the community can offer.

The clicking sound is due to the hardisk head retracts attempts to read a good cluster. The following unorthodox suggestion, works for some lucky people. (works for me, my iPod was revived this way, and still running)

1. Place a mouse pad on a flat table surface
  2. hold your iPod vertically
  3. Tap the iPod bottom on the mouse pad. (maybe 5 times)
  4. Reset the Ipod

If the above doesn't work, tap the iPod when it is resetting.

You may have to do this a few times. (don't tap it to hard)

If the Red X doesn't show, then run diskutility and do firstaid on the iPod

By the way, don't leave your iPod permenantly in the car, the head and unstable voltage when starting could damage your iPod.

Good Luck!

i have the red X. i've toggled on and off, i've carefully pressed menu and select till the apple appears then released and carefully pressed select and play. i still get the red x of death. what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.