Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are SMTP server settings greyed out?

My dad's AOL account was broken into and he had to change his password. The problem is that he can't send mail from his iPhone anymore, and my guess is that the password in his outbound settings is incorrect. But all the SMTP settings for this account are greyed out.

Anyone know what the story is here?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 4:15 PM

7 replies

Aug 19, 2012 1:16 AM in response to Stokestack

It is nothing to do with allowed content. Grey bug was triggered because you selected a "helpful" profile in Add Account. If you are lucky SMTP credentials may be copied from your IMAP ones. I was able to change Gmail password with just IMAP.

BTW the password does not echo. This silly given that it is unlikely such a device would ever be used with a TTY or printing terminal. Password display would allow stronger passwords. I have not used or even seen a TTY in decades.

However, I am old enough to remember TTYs and sessions in the trash. If password did echo then you would only need the first part of a session.

Why are SMTP server settings greyed out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.