Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Mail not saving attachments when 'saved as' rtfd file?

Or more pertinently, how do I get TextEdit to include attachments within emails 'saved as' RTF files from Mail? Until Lion this feature worked perfectly. Now it is only the text of the email that is saved, but not the attachments (even with 'include attachments' checked).

17" MacBook Pro 2,3 GHz C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 5:20 AM

2 replies

Aug 23, 2013 6:56 AM in response to RedDuke

I have just discovered this problem too. It's one of the many disappointments following my "up"grade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. As a professional journalist I was delighted in SL to find I could save the many emails I get with text and photo attachments as the universal rtf format. In ML I can only save attachments in the mail when using Raw Message Source. Why did Apple include the "include attachments" tick box when saving in rtf or text when plainly the program no longer will include attachments in those formats? What an idiotic, retrograde step. Or are they trying to force us only to use Apple, since .eml is not useful outside Apple? I can't believe how backward ML is.

I also now have no indication of bluetooth mouse or keyboard battery levels. These worked fine in Snow Leopard. In ML they're stuck on 100% and thus no warnings are issued about imminent disconnection as battery runs down.

I also hate autosave. When I crop an image I want to have both crop and original, as was the case with SL. Now I get two copies of the crop. Logic, Apple? Idiotic, impractical thinking again.

I only got ML (was forced to) because I wanted Pages' smoother scrolling as compared to Word on the Mac. It's been a complete loser for me. Pages is a primitive programme with fewer facilties - for example, no option to toggle case as in Word.

Why is Mail not saving attachments when 'saved as' rtfd file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.