Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes wifi sync through a VPN?

I'm interested in using my iPad or iPhone to connect to my home network via VPN and using that connection to access movies and other media on my home iMac. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to use iTunes wifi sync to update my podcasts.

My model would be to have a small computer between my cable modem and AE base station running pfSense that would handle secure connections to my home network from the outside - VPN, firewall, &tc.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried doing this?

EB

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 6:52 AM

9 replies

Jan 26, 2012 12:57 PM in response to Rowlandcutler

Rowlandcutler, it's not that Bonjour does not support VPN but rather it's that Bonjour is a multicast protocol which only broadcasts within its own subnet. In the case of my l2tp vpn to the Sonicwall, I am trying to utilize the IP Helper to relay bonjour across the VPN connection. I don't know if the issue is in my rule set where bonjour is not getting across to the remote network subnet or if it is the iPhone which is incapable of listening for Bonjour on two subnets: (1) the WIFI it's connected to before VPN'ing into the Sonicwall and (2) the subnet the iPhone connects to once VPN'd into the Sonicwall. I also have to determine if Sonicwall's l2tp vpn is bridged or routed - as that makes a difference. Bridged is what we want in this situation.

I believe OpenVPN has worked for people but I don't want to jailbreak my phone to get the OpenVPN app. I'd prefer it worked natively to the iPhone.

Dec 1, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Eric Beyer

I got it to work, in a round about way.

on both the client (the computer your iphone is synced too) and server (the computer you are able to plug your iphone into)

download and install teamviewer from teamviewer.com

install access from anywhere anytime option

install vpn option

google usb network gate by eltima software.

download and install.

add your iphone's usb port to a share in usb gate.

connect to your client with teamviewer and start a vpn.

on the client, connect to a remote usb using the ip address found in the vpn window of teamviewer. the iphone should automatically show up as if you had connected via usb directly to the client computer.

It is a little slow syncing. But it gets the job done if you have to sync away from the home computer

Dec 18, 2012 12:36 AM in response to pillarman201009

"on both the client (the computer your iphone is synced too) and server (the computer you are able to plug your iphone into)"

Sorry, I don't quite understand above message. Server should means the computer which installed the iTunes and the client computer should be remote computer which the iPhone/iPad plug into.

Could you please explain which computer install teamviewer and which one install vpn / google usb network gate?

Thank you so much!

iTunes wifi sync through a VPN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.