Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I scan photos directly into iPhoto library?

How do I scan photos directly into Iphoto library from my scanner

Now when I scan they go into the pictures folder and Iphoto does not see them

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 10:06 AM

You can do it pretty easily.

1-Create folder in desktop called iPhoto Import

2-Open iPhoto and create an album called Import

3-Open Automator from your Apps folder

4-When it opens, select Folder Action as your template

5-From the pull down above the right panel select Other, then select the iPhoto Import folder on your desktop

6-From the second column, drag Find Finder Items in to the window on the right

7-Where it says "Search", select your iPhoto Import folder

8-From the second column select Import Filies into iPhoto and drag in to the window on the right, under previous item

9- Select "Existing Album" and choose your Import album

10-Its up to you whether you want to delete the photo once its been added to iPhoto.

11-Save as "Import"

Now drag an image in to that folder to test. It takes about 30 seconds for iPhoto to launch. If all works fine, direct tour scanner software to save in to that folder.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2011 10:06 AM in response to zacharyfrommandeville

You can do it pretty easily.

1-Create folder in desktop called iPhoto Import

2-Open iPhoto and create an album called Import

3-Open Automator from your Apps folder

4-When it opens, select Folder Action as your template

5-From the pull down above the right panel select Other, then select the iPhoto Import folder on your desktop

6-From the second column, drag Find Finder Items in to the window on the right

7-Where it says "Search", select your iPhoto Import folder

8-From the second column select Import Filies into iPhoto and drag in to the window on the right, under previous item

9- Select "Existing Album" and choose your Import album

10-Its up to you whether you want to delete the photo once its been added to iPhoto.

11-Save as "Import"

Now drag an image in to that folder to test. It takes about 30 seconds for iPhoto to launch. If all works fine, direct tour scanner software to save in to that folder.

Jan 11, 2013 2:25 PM in response to zacharyfrommandeville

When I select Import as my Existing Album (steps 9-11) it refuses to save properly. Every time I reduce or closethe window and re-open to check it has reverted back to the Events album in iphoto-(from the drop down menu.) My scanner photos go to the iPhoto Import album on the desktop but then just stay there. I stilll have to pull them to iPhoto using Import Library. Why won't Automater save this final step?

It now doesn't even offer me a Save option- only Save as Duplicate which does nothing.

Jun 24, 2013 2:33 AM in response to zacharyfrommandeville

Technology moves on, so here's an update: If you are an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch user, use Pic Scanner app (Demo at youtube.com/watch?v=tgrTZPggkEs), save photos to Camera Roll and then just sync to iPhoto. You can scan three photos at one time, and the app automatically crops and saves them - so it's a cool app if you want instant gratification of getting some old photos on to your iPad or posting them to Facebook.

How do I scan photos directly into iPhoto library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.