Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad to iPad direct via messages app

I want to send a text message to my mates ipad how do we do that. If i send it from my ipad to his phone it arrives on his phone. Do we need our ipads phone numbers?

Not bothered about it not being SMS and all that just want to send stuff to his ipad without sending an email etc..

What do we need to do.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 8:48 AM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2011 9:15 AM in response to qnc

Go to Settings/Messages tap on "Receive At". Enter an email address. Make sure your mates iPhone is set to receive messages at his/her phone number and not the same email address he entered on his iPad. Any messages sent to your mate's email address set up in messages will be sent to his/her iPad.

Dec 8, 2011 9:59 AM in response to GZukes

Ok cool got it now I think..

basicall you set up the ipad messaging to recive on an email as you described above. (Settings/Messages tap on "Receive At". Enter an email address)

then in messages app itself instead of a phone number you put in the email adress that the ipad is set up to and then it comes in direct to messages app and not to the mail app.

Cool.

iPad to iPad direct via messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.