Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is iSync?

Not sure whether this is the right forum?

I upgraded to Lion, and my Missing Sync can no longer find the iSync app. Neither can I. It used to be in the Application folder. Yet the little circle still sits in the menu bar. I actually don’t really need the missing sync anymore, since everything that I need synced now runs via iCloud. -- However, when I click on the iSync icon in the menu bar there is an option for ‘Sync Now.’ What does it sync? Where can I get access to its settings?

Thanks,

Klaus

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:52 AM

9 replies

Dec 9, 2011 1:30 PM in response to Julian Wright

I only installed Lion last week, and therefore noticed the absence of iSync just now. That’s why I appear to be a latecomer to this discussion, many of which I discover have now been going on for months.

I had no idea that Apple deprecated it (I love that term). I accept that it may be old technology, but should they not warn people? Maybe it opens up space for third party developers, which, naturally will charge for their apps. I resent having to pay for something that should be part of the operating system.

It also challenges cell phone manufacturers to develop their own sync software, but many still only live in the Windows world. If printer manufacturers can come up with print drivers, why can’t cell phone companies do the same with sync software?

Lastly, comparing Apple’s price for system upgrades to those of Microsoft, maybe we shouldn’t whine so much...

Klaus

Dec 9, 2011 2:53 PM in response to Klaus Blume

I'm curious why you feel syncing third-party devices should be part of the operating system?

It's not feasible, or technically possible for Apple to obtain every third-party mobile phone, and write software that supports the thousands of variations in mobile OSs and sync methods.

Like printers, scanners, digital cameras and other electronic accessories, the manufacturers of those devices are the best placed to provide the best support for those devices, especially when released. It would take Apple much longer to 'reverse-engineer' or otherwise obtain the required technical details to provide 100% support for every device specific feature.

Also, iSync only ever supported 'feature phones' - not smart phones. All the world's major phone manufacturers are quickly moving away from making basic phones, so as time goes on, iSync would be less and less useful.

Finally, from a purely business perspective, why would Apple spend valuable time and resources supporting other manufacturers phones for free, when they would prefer you bought an Apple device? Microsoft don't have OS level support built-in for syncing non-Microsoft OS phones either.

Where is iSync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.